5 eco-friendly ways to be a sustainable traveller
Be a responsible traveller and ensure your journeys are sustainable and don’t harm the environment. Here are simple steps that will help you do so.Updated: Aug 27, 2018 09:39 IST
With travelling comes the responsibility of making sure that you don’t pollute the place and leave it better than you found it. Small steps can go a long way in doing so, whether it is not littering, travelling on foot or by public transport, or opting for voluntourism. Here are 5 things all travellers should be doing:
* Cut down on use of plastic: When travelling, avoid using plastic bottles and instead carry reusable ones. Similarly, carry cloth bags and paper bags or a tote to avoid using plastic bags which are not biodegradable.
* Walk around: A good way to see the sights and sounds of a city is by walking. It can also save you from hiring a car and reduce your carbon emission as well. And you might just discover some hidden nooks and corners of the city.
* Buy local: There’s no point in travelling to the other corner of the world to end up buying Made in China artefacts that are not sustainable. Instead, opt for local handicrafts and artefacts that might help sustain local artisans and local crafts.
* Opt for homestays: Staying at someone’s home may help you learn about the customs of a particular community and can also help you share resources, be it water, electricity and not go overboard as you may at a hotel.
* Become a voluntourist: Combine your love for tourism with volunteering and bring a change in the places you visit. You can teach children a new skill or lend a hand with farming or daily chores.
Follow @htlifeandstyle for more
First Published: Aug 27, 2018 09:30 IST