Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and DB Weiss pull out of San Diego Comic-Con
Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and Dan B Weiss are not going to this year’s Comic-Con, HBO has announced. The network revealed an updated panel line-up for the upcoming San Diego fan event on Wednesday, reported Entertainment Weekly.
Besides Benioff and Weiss, director Miguel Sapochnik, and actors Iain Glen and Nathalie Emmanuel have also pulled out from the much-anticipated event. Other GOT actors Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Maisie Williams, Jacob Anderson, John Bradley, Liam Cunningham, Conleth Hill and Isaac Hempstead Wright are still scheduled to attend.
The development comes a day after the hit HBO series broke its own record by garnering a historic 32 Emmy nominations for the final season on Tuesday. Benioff and Weiss received the nod for writing the much-debated series finale and Sapochnik for directing the Battle of Winterfell episode The Long Night.
A wealth of recognition for the cast and guest stars , including the show’s only previous winner, Peter Dinklage with three awards, helped Game of Thrones add to its already record haul of nominations, now at 161 total. Series star Emilia Clarke’s decision to seek a best actress nomination after a series of supporting actress bids paid off. She’s competing in a category that’s notable for its diversity, including past winner Viola Davis for How to Get Away with Murder and repeat nominee Sandra Oh for Killing Eve, who has another chance to become the first actress of Asian descent to win the trophy. She lost last year to Claire Foy for Netflix’s The Crown.
Four actors of the show (Gwendoline Christie, Lena Headey, Sophie Turner and Maisie Williams) were nominated in Supporting Actress Drama category while three actors (Alfie Allen, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and Peter Dinklage) were nominated in Supporting Actor Drama category.
Comic-Con was expected to be the first public appearance by the showrunners since the divisive series finale aired in May. No reason was given for the schedule change.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Rahul Vaidya and Disha Parmar left Mumbai for a quick getaway. While they did not disclose their destination, he shared a picture from their helicopter ride together.
- Rakhi Sawant's ailing mother has said that she is disappointed that Rakhi didn't win Bigg Boss 14, but would like to see her and her husband, Ritesh, participate in the next season of the show.
- Aly Goni took a video of Jasmin Bhasin doing her make-up for his birthday party on Thursday night. She responded by dropping heart-eyes emojis in the comments section.
- Nikki Tamboli opened up about steam-ironing her ex-boyfriend's boxers in Bigg Boss 14 and said that it was not an attempt to grab eyeballs. She added that she was 'genuinely' missing him.
- Salman Khan took to Instagram and Twitter to share a 'mega selfie' from the sets of the Indian Pro Music League. The star-studded photo featured Riteish Deshmukh, Genelia D'Souza, Bobby Deol, Shraddha Kapoor, Govinda, Mika Singh, Rajkummar Rao, Karan Wahi, Javed Ali and many more.
- Sidharth Shukla has long been rumoured to be dating Shehnaaz Gill. Fresh rumours suggest that the two have tied the knot. Sidharth has now clarified his marital status.
- Aly Goni and Jasmin Bhasin entered the reality show Bigg Boss 14 as best friends but discovered their feelings for each other through the course of the show.
- Arshi Khan opened up about her Lady Gaga-inspired gold dress at the Bigg Boss 14 after-party and revealed Salman Khan's hilarious response to it.
- Mohit Malik and Addite Malik had their baby shower Wednesday and the TV couple was seen in traditional Maharashtrian attire for the bash.
- Nakuul Mehta and Jankee Parekh welcomed their son earlier this month. The latter took to Instagram and shared her experience of embracing motherhood.