'Indians have a herd mentality'
He is 22 and has chucked a career in chartered accountancy to make people laugh. In fact, Kuldeep Dubey is tickled pink that he has emerged the winner of The Great Indian Laughter Challenge III.
As a kid, he would mimic his school teachers and was caned black and blue when he was caught in the act. His father, an ex-army man, tried to discipline him. But the kid's penchant for the funny business could not be extinguished.
Dubey worked as an assistant director to Pankaj Parasvath (director, The Great Indian Laughter Challenge). He went on to become the youngest champion of the show.
Apart from aping Bollywood personalities, Dubey takes potshots at daakus (dacoits). "I was born and brought up in Shivpuri, Madhya Pradesh, which is very close to Chambal, the breeding ground of all daakus. So most of my jokes are based on them,"he says.
The lean boy is majorly inspired by Jim Carrey and is flattered on being compared to the Hollywood laugh raiser. He is also a fan of Rajpal Yadav, Mehmood and Pakistani artist Omar Sharif.
Dubey doesn't quite approve of the show's format though, stating that it could be more of a stand-up comedy show where earning points are not the matrix."Indians have a herd mentality," he states. "When a reality show becomes a success, imitations follow."
Ask him about his most memorable moment on Laughter Challenge and Dubey responds, "Shekhar Suman paaji said, ‘I have never seen such a brilliant performance.. I don't deserve to judge you.' And he vacated his seat for me. I can never forget that moment."
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Nikki Tamboli, Jaan Kumar Sanu, Pavitra Punia and Eijaz Khan came together for Naina Singh's birthday bash on Friday.
- Anita Hassanandani has shared two cute videos on her Instagram Stories in which she can be seen pampering her son, Aaravv.
- Rubina Dilaik was extremely angry and fought with Rakhi Sawant when she got to know about the incident. Abhinav has now said that the reaction made him feel a 'sense of belonging'.
- Rakhi Sawant took to Instagram to share a video of herself doing various household chores. She complained that Bigg Boss made her a 'grihani (housewife)'.
- Kavita Kaushik called out a man for sending her abusive messages on Instagram. As he apologised to her, she exposed the ‘reality of sher dil men of our country’.
- Rahul Vaidya confirms he will marry Disha Parmar soon in an intimate ceremony. He had proposed marriage to her on national TV last year on her birthday.
- Eijaz Khan gave his girlfriend Pavitra Punia a cute shout-out as she reached one million followers on Instagram. See their adorable pictures and video.
- Kapil Sharma had shared a video of his one-year-old daughter Anayra, dancing to a Honey Singh song, on his Instagram Stories.
- Satish Shah chose to wait in line for three hours in the scorching heat to get the Covid-19 vaccine. As he tweeted about not using the VIP entrance, fans flooded the internet with Maya Sarabhai jokes.
- Jankee Parekh felt a number of emotions as she left newborn son Sufi at home for some time, while she visited the dentist. See their first photo here.