Rohit Bose Roy: I’ll never say no to TV, I had made that mistake once and it went against me
Rohit Bose Roy has no qualms in accepting that he is a “TV product” and has immense respect for the medium that gave wings to his acting aspirations. Thus, the actor says there is no reason he would say no to TV ever.
“TV has made me, and I can never deny its contribution to my career. Whatever I’m today is because of my show Swabhimaan,” he continues, “Even when I was doing all these big films, some of my friends used to shy away from TV saying, ‘Nahi yaar, lighting achhi nahi hoti, such garish sets, you don’t look good’. But, I never thought on those lines. Every medium has a different demand, you’ve to melt into the medium.”
The actor, whose last TV show was Sanjivani, believes that no actor is bigger than the medium and he doesn’t enjoy when comparison between mediums is made.
“I’ll continue to do TV. I won’t quit any medium. I’ve made that mistake once in my life during the Shootout at Lokhandwala (2007). I had said I might not do TV for a while and everyone took it to heart and it went against me,” recalls the actor, who has done films such as Paltan (2018), Kaabil (2017), Fashion (2008).
Having spent 20 years in showbiz and worked in TV, theatre, web and films, Roy has always put efforts in choosing stories that help him grow as an artiste. He’ll be seen next in Sanjay Gupta’s Mumbai Saga besides a web series.
“My character needs to drive the project, otherwise why am I doing it? I’ve to live to my reputation and the audiences’ expectations. In any way, this isn’t an easy place to survive,” says the actor hinting at the ongoing discussions around biases in Bollywood.
“Given my over 25 years run in the industry, I’m an insider by default. I have good friends, who don’t treat me as an outsider. But, I consider myself an outsider. I don’t believe in groups and have never been part of any camp. I agree opportunities that an insider gets, an outsider does not,” he concludes.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Author tweets @Shreya_MJ
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Charu Asopa celebrated her birthday with husband Rajeev Sen. Check out pictures and video from the bash.
- Bigg Boss runner-up Rahul Vaidya's fiancee Disha Parmar has shared a video of herself wearing one of his sweatshirts. "I wear my boyfriend's clothes," she wrote in her post.
- Himanshi Khurana performed to Salaam, originally picturised on Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, in a new video. Watch it here.
- Check out the latest video from Bigg Boss 14 winner Rubina Dilaik in which she is seen dancing with her husband Abhinav Shukla, to a folk song.
- Rahul Vaidya and Disha Parmar left Mumbai for a quick getaway. While they did not disclose their destination, he shared a picture from their helicopter ride together.
- Rakhi Sawant's ailing mother has said that she is disappointed that Rakhi didn't win Bigg Boss 14, but would like to see her and her husband, Ritesh, participate in the next season of the show.
- Nikki Tamboli opened up about steam-ironing her ex-boyfriend's boxers in Bigg Boss 14 and said that it was not an attempt to grab eyeballs. She added that she was 'genuinely' missing him.
- Salman Khan took to Instagram and Twitter to share a 'mega selfie' from the sets of the Indian Pro Music League. The star-studded photo featured Riteish Deshmukh, Genelia D'Souza, Bobby Deol, Shraddha Kapoor, Govinda, Mika Singh, Rajkummar Rao, Karan Wahi, Javed Ali and many more.
- Sidharth Shukla has long been rumoured to be dating Shehnaaz Gill. Fresh rumours suggest that the two have tied the knot. Sidharth has now clarified his marital status.
- Aly Goni and Jasmin Bhasin entered the reality show Bigg Boss 14 as best friends but discovered their feelings for each other through the course of the show.