Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 13, 2018-Thursday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

2015 Paris attacks: Woman sues Twitter, Facebook, Google for ‘growth of IS’

Islamic State jihadists claimed a series of coordinated attacks by gunmen and suicide bombers in Paris that killed at least 129 people in scenes of carnage at a concert hall, restaurants and the national stadium

world Updated: Feb 21, 2018 21:34 IST
Associated Press
Associated Press
Associated Press, Paris
2015 Paris attacks,Twitter,Facebook
This photo taken on November 16, 2015 shows candles and messages left at a makeshift memorial next to the Bataclan concert hall in Paris.(AFP)

A Chicago-area woman who was at a cafe in Paris during the 2015 attacks is suing Twitter, Facebook and Google alleging the sites helped aid the growth of the Islamic State group by giving it social media access.

The Chicago Sun-Times reports Mandy Palmucci filed the federal lawsuit last week in Chicago.

The lawsuit says she was at a Paris cafe when more than a dozen people were killed there and that she suffered emotionally.

The attacks on cafes, the national stadium and a concert hall left 130 people dead. The Islamic State group claimed responsibility.

Facebook said in a statement there’s no place on its site for those who engage in terrorism or for content that supports such activity.

Twitter and Google didn’t respond to the newspaper’s messages seeking comment.

Similar lawsuits elsewhere have been dismissed on grounds that laws shield online providers from responsibility for content posted by users.

First Published: Feb 21, 2018 13:26 IST