Covid-19: These countries have imposed second lockdown
Israel was the first country to have imposed a second lockdown in September in the wake of the rising number of cases. The second lockdown has entered the third week and the restrictions are still in place. The United Kingdom was mulling over a second lockdown. A three-tier lockdown proposal has been made to be imposed on England, reports said. Meanwhile, several other European countries have reintroduced many a restriction.
Here is a list of countries that have brought back second lockdown in some form or the other
Israel: For almost three weeks, the country is under the second phase of lockdown. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said exiting this lockdown won’t be hurried like the country did during the first lockdown. It will be slow and gradual and may last for a year.
France: All bars in Paris will shut from October 6 for two weeks. Across France, gatherings are limited to 10 people.
Spain: Madrid and nine surrounding towns are under lockdown. Social gatherings are limited to six people.
Netherlands: Social gatherings inside someone’s house must not exceed three people.
Germany: Sporting events, public festivals banned. Testing at airports has been compulsory for people arriving from high-risk countries.
Italy: All nightclubs have been closed.
United States, New York City
New York city mayor Bill de Blasio announced an emergency lockdown plan in 20 hotspots in Brooklyn and Queens. Schools in these areas will be closed. If the plan gets an approval from Governor Andrew M Cuomo, the lockdown will begin from Wednesday.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Durrani has faced problems from Pakistan’s military establishment since he co-authored the book The Spy Chronicles: RAW, ISI and the Illusion of Peace with former Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) chief AS Dulat in 2018.
- In an introductory telephone call from US secretary of defence Lloyd Austin to Rajnath Singh, the two sides reaffirmed their commitment to work together to strengthen bilateral defence cooperation and the strategic partnership.
- A first look at deforestation in the full year of 2020 shows that roughly 21,000 square kilometers (8,108 square miles) of old-growth forest was cut or burned down, about the size of New Jersey, the US-based non-profit group found in its analysis of satellite data.
- The Israeli Embassy in France tweeted a photo of the pro-Uighur graffiti scrawled on a wall etched with the names of tens of thousands of French victims of the Holocaust. The embassy expressed “horror and anger” at the vandalism “on such a symbolic day.”
- The UK arm of Mumbai-based pharmaceutical company Wockhardt, which is producing the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine in north Wales, said it notified authorities after receiving the package on Wednesday morning. The company had recently hosted British Prime Minister Boris Johnson.
- Travellers arriving in Britain from high-risk Covid-19 countries will have to quarantine for 10 days in government-provided accommodation, while those wishing to leave will need to explain why in a process checked before departure, interior minister Priti Patel said on Wednesday.