Islamic State withdraws from Syria’s Aleppo province: Monitor

The Islamic State group no longer has a presence in Syria’s Aleppo province after withdrawing from a series of villages where regime forces were advancing
Sheen Ibrahim, Kurdish fighter from the People's Protection Units (YPG) walks together with other YPG fighters in Raqqa, Syria June 16, 2017.(REUTERS Photo)
Sheen Ibrahim, Kurdish fighter from the People's Protection Units (YPG) walks together with other YPG fighters in Raqqa, Syria June 16, 2017.(REUTERS Photo)
Updated on Jun 30, 2017 07:38 PM IST
Copy Link
AFP, Beirut | By

The Islamic State group no longer has a presence in Syria’s Aleppo province after withdrawing from a series of villages where regime forces were advancing, a monitor said on Friday.

“IS withdrew from 17 towns and villages and is now effectively outside of Aleppo province after having a presence there for four years,” said Rami Abdel Rahman, head of the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

Regime forces had been advancing on a sliver of southeastern Aleppo province around a key highway linking Hama province to the southwest and Raqa province further east.

Abdel Rahman said regime forces seized control of the road late Thursday night, prompting the remaining IS fighters to flee.

A Syrian military source in rural Aleppo confirmed the withdrawal.

“The military operation is ongoing and Daesh withdrew from the Aleppan countryside towards rural territory in Hama and Raqa,” the source told AFP, using the Arabic acronym for IS.

“The Syrian army is clearing out the last few metres,” the source added.

A second military source, quoted by Syrian state news agency SANA, also confirmed that IS had pulled out of territory along the Ithraya-Rasafa highway.

Since early 2015, multi-front offensives against IS have eaten away at territory the group held in Aleppo province.

US-backed Kurdish and allied Arab fighters ousted the jihadists from Kobane on the Turkish border in 2015 and from the key city of Manbij last year.

Rebels backed by Turkey seized the town of Al-Bab in February, and Syrian government troops have steadily chipped away at IS towns in the south of the province.

In neighbouring Raqa province, a US-backed offensive is bearing down on the provincial capital of the same name, which has served as the jihadists’ de facto Syrian capital.

Abdel Rahman described Friday’s withdrawal as “a new loss for IS that decreases its influence and demonstrates that we are watching its collapse as an organisation that can manage geographical territory”.

Syria’s conflict broke out in March 2011 with protests against President Bashar al-Assad, before turning into a complex, bloody war.

World powers including Russia, Turkey, and a US-led global coalition have all been drawn into the war, which has left more than 320,000 people dead.

Talks aimed at reaching a lasting ceasefire will resume in the Kazakh capital Astana next week, before another round of UN-backed peace negotiations in Geneva in mid-July.

.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • At least six people were killed and around 30 wounded on July 4 when a gunman opened fire from a rooftop at a Fourth of July parade in the Chicago suburb of Highland Park.

    US July 4 parade shooting suspect contemplated 2nd shooting: Police

    The man charged with killing seven people at an Independence Day parade confessed to police that he unleashed a hail of bullets from a rooftop in suburban Chicago and then fled to the Madison, Wisconsin, area, where he contemplated shooting up an event there, authorities said Wednesday. The parade shooting left another American community reeling — this time affluent Highland Park, home to about 30,000 people near the Lake Michigan shore.

  • People participate in a candle march on the death anniversary of social activist Father Stan Swamy, in Kolkata, India on Tuesday. (PTI)

    Stan Swamy death: US Congressman asks India to set up independent investigation

    On the first anniversary of the death of Father Stan Swamy, the Jesuit priest accused in the Bhima Koregaon/Elgar Parishad case who died in custody, a United States (US) Congressman has introduced a resolution in the House of Representatives commemorating Swamy's life and demanding that the Government of India set up an independent investigation into his “arrest, incarceration and death”. India has, in the past, rejected international criticism around Swamy's arrest.

  • British Prime Minister Boris Johnson speaks during Prime Minister's Questions at the House of Commons in London, Britain.

    ‘I will not resign,’ says UK PM Boris Johnson | List of Tory MPs who quit govt

    Amid a string of resignations, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Wednesday told a parliamentary committee that he was not going to resign, and that an election is 'the last thing the country needs'. Senior ministers of Johnson's government were reportedly geared up to ask Johnson to quit as prime minister, British media said, over the latest developments. Were Johnson to go, the process to replace him may take a couple of months.

  • India’s Enforcement Directorate’s searched Vivo’s office at 9 To 9 mall in Patna, Bihar, on Tuesday. (ANI)

    India should probe Vivo according to law, not discriminate: China

    China on Wednesday said it hopes India would conduct investigations into the Chinese smartphone company Vivo according to law and provide a “fair” and “non-discriminatory” business environment for Chinese firms. China is closely following developments related to the raids on the offices of Vivo in India, Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson, Zhao Lijian, said on Wednesday when asked about the case.

  • Brazilian model and sniper Thalito do Valle in a screengrab from her YouTube video. 

    Brazilian model, sniper killed in Russian military strike in Ukraine: Report

    A Brazilian model who had joined the Ukrainian army and trained as a sniper to help fight against invading Russian forces has been killed in combat, according to media reports. Thalita also took part in humanitarian missions and fought the Islamic State in Iraq, according to a report by the Daily Mail. Ex-Brazilian soldier Douglas Burigo, 40, who returned to find Thalita was the only soldier left after the first strike took place, British publication Daily Mail claimed.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Thursday, July 07, 2022