Trump administration says over 700 stopped at customs after travel ban
The Donald Trump administration has said 746 people across the US were stopped at customs during the first weekend of the President’s travel ban, a media report said.world Updated: Feb 28, 2017 21:13 IST
The Donald Trump administration has said 746 people across the US were stopped at customs during the first weekend of the President’s travel ban, a media report said.
The Justice Department on Thursday evening wrote a letter to court listing the names of those who were “encountered or undergoing processing” by US Customs and Border Patrol and “this list includes legal permanent residents” also, CNN reported.
On Tuesday, as requested by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), US district court Judge Carol Bagley Amon ordered the Trump administration to produce the names by Thursday.
Amon’s order includes anyone who, at any time during the period from 9.37pm on January 28 until 11.59pm on January 29, was being “held, including being processed” by the US Customs and Border Protection pursuant to the executive order.
Several days after the travel ban went into effect -- and began to face lawsuits in federal court -- the White House counsel’s office clarified that legal permanent residents were not covered by the executive order.
“We are pleased to finally get the names, though it took more than three weeks from (Judge Donnelly’s) court order,” said ACLU attorney Lee Gelernt in a statement to CNN.
“But we remain concerned that the list is incomplete and that it needs to be supplemented so we have information to find the affected individuals.”
However, the Trump administration has not revealed how many people nationwide were deported after the ban went into effect.
Amon will hold a hearing on Friday to consider whether the government should be ordered to bring back to the US the individuals who were previously deported pursuant to the executive order.
First Published: Feb 24, 2017 14:57 IST