New Delhi -°C
Today in New Delhi, India

Sep 26, 2020-Saturday
-°C

Humidity
-

Wind
-

Select Country
Select city
ADVERTISEMENT
Home / World News / Vietnam reports first Covid-19 death after months of successful countermeasures

Vietnam reports first Covid-19 death after months of successful countermeasures

Aa 70-year-old man who appears to have contracted the coronavirus disease in Danang, died on Friday, the official Vietnam News Agency (VNA) said.

world Updated: Jul 31, 2020 13:42 IST
Reuters | Posted by Kanishka Sarkar
Reuters | Posted by Kanishka Sarkar
Hanoi
A health worker sprays disinfectants at a rapid testing center for coronavirus disease (Covid-19) outside Hanoi, Vietnam on July 30, 2020.
A health worker sprays disinfectants at a rapid testing center for coronavirus disease (Covid-19) outside Hanoi, Vietnam on July 30, 2020. (Reuters Photo )

Vietnam recorded its first death from Covid-19 on Friday after winning plaudits worldwide for one of the most successful pandemic responses to containing the novel coronavirus outbreak.

The country of 96 million had gone 100 days without infection before an unexpected cluster of new cases surfaced in the central and popular resort city of Danang a week ago.

Follow latest updates on coronavirus here

Vietnam’s health ministry on Friday reported 45 new infections in the city, marking the Southeast Asian country’s biggest single-day jump in cases since the beginning of the pandemic.

The capital, Hanoi, has started mass coronavirus testing, shut bars and nightclubs, banned large gatherings, and urged tens of thousands of domestic travellers to report to authorities as the country scrambled to contain the fresh spread of the virus.

Patient 428, a 70-year-old man who appears to have contracted the disease in Danang, died on Friday, the official Vietnam News Agency (VNA) said.

Click here for complete coronavirus coverage

The 45 latest patients, aged between 27 and 87, are linked to three hospitals and two clinics in Danang, according to the health ministry, which overnight sent a special task force of health experts, along with more than 1,000 health workers, to the city to help handle the deteriorating situation there.

The task force includes 65 health experts who had previously helped fight coronavirus at other epicentres in Vietnam, the ministry said.

Authorities in Danang are building a 1,000-bed field hospital to ease the burden on the city’s hospitals, four of which are under lockdown following a series of cases there.

The newly confirmed infections in Danang have lifted the total number of cases in Vietnam to 509.

Some experts say Vietnam could be paying for complacency after its initial success stopping the virus, with normal service quickly resuming, facemasks used less and domestic travel activity surging.

Danang had been inundated with visitors taking advantage of promotions to revitalise a tourism sector hurt by border closures and international flight bans designed to stamp out the virus.

The current wave is traced to Danang, but the source is unclear.

(Reporting by Phuong Nguyen and Khanh Vu; Writing by James Pearson; Editing by Ed Davies & Shri Navaratnam)

ht epaper

Sign In to continue reading