Bomb scare forces evacuation of Mexico tower

Updated on Aug 31, 2007 09:28 PM IST

More than 10,000 people were evacuated on Thursday from Mexico's Torre Mayor, Latin America's tallest tower, after a bomb scare.

HT Image
HT Image
AFP | By, Mexico

More than 10,000 people were evacuated on Thursday from Mexico's Torre Mayor, Latin America's tallest tower, after a bomb scare involving a suspicious vehicle parked in front, officials said.



Police were tipped off by an anonymous caller who said an explosive was inside a car and identified the vehicle's number plate, Mexico City police chief Joel Ortega said.



Bomb squad members discovered a device attached to a mobile phone inside the car, which had been stolen on August 14, and were in the process of analyzing the nature of the device, he said.



There were no immediate claims of responsibility for the bomb scare, which also forced the removal of 2,40 cars from the building's parking lot.

Get Latest World Newsalong with Latest Newsfrom Indiaat Hindustan Times.
SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
SHARE
Story Saved
OPEN APP
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
My Offers
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Tuesday, January 31, 2023
Start 15 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now
Register Free and get Exciting Deals