Chavez heads to Cuba for more chemo
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez flew to Cuba for a second round of chemotherapy treatment, following the removal of a cancerous tumor in June.Updated: Aug 07, 2011 08:20 IST
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez flew to Cuba for a second round of chemotherapy treatment, following the removal of a cancerous tumor in June.
The 57 year old Chavez, who has lost hair due to the treatment, expressed confidence he would return in a few days "in better condition that I am now." ""We will come out of this stronger. I am sure of it. My perspective is lengthening, and it's not 2012, but 2031," he said, referring to his plans to run for a third six year term in presidential elections next year.
Chavez said last month he had "successfully" finished a first round of chemotherapy and was preparing for the second round, but did not disclose his treatment schedule. He said no malignant cells had been found in his body.
"There will be several rounds in order to win this battle and eliminate all risk of malignant cells," he said.
The Venezuelan government has not disclosed the extent of Chavez's cancer or provided any other details about the disease.
Cuba, the only one party communist regime in the Americas, is Chavez's closest regional ally.
First Published: Aug 07, 2011 08:19 IST