Death toll in China landslide rises to 260
The death toll from a landslide in northern China this month has risen to 260 with another 10 people missing and presumed dead.world Updated: Sep 18, 2008 09:37 IST
The death toll from a landslide in northern China this month has risen to 260 with another 10 people missing and presumed dead, state media said on Thursday.
The official Xinhua News agency said 260 bodies have been pulled from the debris in Shanxi province's Xiangfen county. The figure for the number of missing was made after checks at nearby villages, the report said.
The Sept 8 landslide was triggered by the collapse of an illegal mining dump that buried a village of 1,300 residents in a torrent of mud and industrial mining waste. The governor of Shanxi resigned over the disaster and his deputy was fired.
Authorities have refused to estimate how many people remain buried in the village of Yunhe.
The disaster underscores two major public safety concerns in China: the failure to enforce protective measures in the country's notoriously deadly mines, and the unsound state of many of its bridges, dams and other aging infrastructure.
An initial investigation found the retaining wall of a mine dump collapsed after heavy rains. The mine, operated by Tashan Mine Co., had been operating without a valid license.