Dog dials emergency, saves his own life
Every dog has his day, well this one, clearly did have his. George, a two-year-old Basset Hound who entangled himself around a telephone wire, was lucky enough to live another day.world Updated: Mar 28, 2012 21:43 IST
Every dog has his day, well this one, clearly did have his. George, a two-year-old Basset Hound who entangled himself around a telephone wire, was lucky enough to live another day.
In panick mode, George pawed at the phone trying to free himself and unknowingly dialing 999, the emergency number in United Kingdom, according to a report in The Sun.
The operator at the other end could only hear heavy breathing and gasping. Sensing an emergency situation, the operator alerted the police, who rushed to the empty home of driving instructor Steve Brown and daughter Lydia. The police team began searching for an aged or injured person in the house, located in South Hiendley, West Yorkshire.
It was only when a neighbour, Paul Walker, walked into the living room that George was found choking — with the phone wound tightly round his neck.
Walker told The Sun, "He was absolutely terrified and could not free himself. I knew I had to get him free quickly so I just ripped the wire out. Incredibly you could see where his paw print was on the phone to ring 999 — he literally saved his own life. When the police came into the room and realised what had happened they burst out laughing."
Lydia had left a key to the house with Paul so that George could be fed later in the evening.
According to Lydia, as quoted by The Sun, "It is just so lucky that his paw managed to ring 999 otherwise he would have died. We still don't know how he managed it. It's one of those old-fashioned phones with the dialling ring. He's not usually very smart. He's really dopey and just likes to chew socks."
First Published: Mar 28, 2012 21:35 IST