Indonesia bomb blast toll rises to three
Police initially said that a terrorist bomb could have caused the explosion as it happened in an area being monitored by the anti-terror police.Updated: Aug 12, 2007 14:22 IST
The death toll caused by a powerful blast that tore through a residential area in Indonesia's East Java province rose to three early on Sunday, after a man died overnight in hospital, medical staff said.
The 23-year-old victim died at the Syaiful Anwar general hospital in Malang city, around midnight, said a member of staff who only identified himself as Agus.
"He was brought in unconscious with injuries in the head and his limbs, and died without regaining consciousness," said Agus by telephone.
He said the body of the victim, named as Mansyur and the son of the owner of the house where the explosion took place, was claimed by his family two hours after the death.
Two people were killed at the scene and three others injured on Saturday in the powerful blast in the coastal town of Pasuruan, just 50 kilometers (30 miles) southeast of Surabaya, Indonesia's second largest city.
Police initially said that a terrorist bomb could have caused the explosion as it happened in an area being monitored by anti-terror police.
Officers have previously made multiple arrests in East Java of Islamic militants accused of carrying out attacks.
But the owner of a house destroyed by the blast who had not been there when the explosion took place, later said fertiliser bombs for fishing had been made there.
First Published: Aug 12, 2007 09:10 IST