Lanka rejects UN satellite imagery
Sri Lanka on Saturday rejected satellite imagery of bomb craters by the UN in support of allegations that security forces shelled a civilian area, saying those were created by the LTTE.world Updated: May 02, 2009 20:24 IST
Sri Lanka on Saturday rejected satellite imagery of bomb craters by the UN in support of allegations that security forces shelled a civilian area, saying those were created by the LTTE.
The UN Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) Operational Satellite Applications Programme had on Friday released satellite evidence stating craters had been created in the No-Fire-Zone, which was interpreted by some as shelling, by security forces in the no conflict zone.
In response, a Sri Lankan defence official explained that even if these satellite images suggested craters, it would have been created by the high amount of bomb explosives detonated by the LTTE.
Unosat, which provides satellite imagery for the UN and relief agencies in its report dated 26 April 2009, said there were indications of craters between February 5 and April 19 in the No-Fire-Zone.
During confrontations in Mullaittivu, troops of 58 divisions seized a huge cache of arms from the LTTE yesterday, the defence ministry said.
Also during search operation conducted at Mulankawil and Kilinochchi by troops of Task Force 5, as many as 12 hand grenades and 2,126 pieces of T-56 ammunition were found by the security forces.
First Published: May 02, 2009 20:24 IST