No evidence produced to link Saeed to Mumbai attacks: Pak HC
Pakistani authorities did not produce any evidence to link Jamaat-ud-Dawah chief Hafiz Mohd Saeed to the Mumbai terror attacks, the Lahore High Court said in its detailed judgement, days after he was set free by the court.world Updated: Jun 07, 2009 02:59 IST
Pakistani authorities did not produce any evidence to link Jamaat-ud-Dawah chief Hafiz Mohd Saeed to the Mumbai terror attacks, the Lahore High Court on Saturday said in its detailed judgement, days after he was set free by the court.
"The Attorney General contended that the petitioners are being blamed to be involved in Mumbai attacks, we have observed that not a single document has been brought on record that the petitioners are involved in it," the court ruled.
A three-member full bench of court today in its detailed verdict maintained that "no documentary or any other evidence" was produced against the detention of Saeed and others.
The court, in its 29-page verdict, observed the detainees were not informed regarding reasons of their detention within the period of three months which was a legal requirement.
Saeed, allegedly linked to last year's Mumbai terror attacks, was set free on Tuesday by the Lahore High Court, triggering an angry response from India which accused Pakistan of not being serious about fighting terror.
59-year-old Saeed, who has been under house arrest since December 11, was ordered to be released by the High Court which held his detention as illegal. A close aide of Saeed, Col (retd) Nazir Mohammad, also held in connection with the November 26 attacks in Mumbai, was freed alongwith the JuD chief by the High Court.
First Published: Jun 07, 2009 02:58 IST