HT Image
HT Image

Pak media blitzkrieg against India

Taking full advantage of Foreign Office statement, the Pak media launched a blitzkrieg against India to counter Indian charges.
PTI | By Sajjan Singh Thakur, New Delhi
UPDATED ON JAN 26, 2005 10:37 PM IST

Pakistani press has gone full blast with the issue of "ceasefire violation by India". Taking full advantage of the Foreign Office statement, the media launched a blitzkrieg against India to counter the Indian charges last week that Pakistan had violated the ceasefire along the LoC.

Leading daily Dawn, which has tried to do a balancing act by giving a suitable space to Indian stand in a separate story denying ceasefire violation, quoted Foreign office spokesman Masood Khan as saying, "On the 21st of January, between three pm and six pm, there was a violation from the Indian side."

Giving brief details of the firing, Mr Khan said small arms were fired into Pakistan territory.

However, the spokesman said Pakistan did not believe there were any ulterior motives on the Indian part to sabotage the peace process. He said it was incumbent on India to inquire into such incidents and inform Pakistan.

According to Khan's Indian counterpart Navtej Sarna, "It was conveyed to the Pakistan DGMO that the report was baseless." The allegation made in Islamabad may have been due to lack of communication at that end, he added, another story by Dawn said.

To a question about the possible impact of LoC firing on the peace process, Khan said, "Let us hope that the ceasefire is observed in the coming days and it will have no impact on the expected meeting between the prime ministers of Pakistan and India on the sidelines of the SAARC summit," another premier daily Nation reported in a lengthy and extensive coverage to the ceasefire row.

Daily Times reported that the directors general of military operations of the two countries were in frequent contact and had renewed assurances that the ceasefire would be observed by both the sides.

Khan said it was for the Indians to investigate the incidents of January 18 and 20, as these happened in Indian territory, and inform Pakistan about the outcome of its investigations, Daily Times added.

"Pakistan was hopeful that a fresh endeavour would be made to keep the dialogue process on track and resolve the issues that need to be resolved. The violation was on the Indian side and it is their responsibility to share the outcome," Pakistan said, Jung reported.

Khan termed the ceasefire along the LoC a "good CBM" and said it has been holding for 14 months. "We hope the ceasefire will be observed and will have no impact on the forthcoming talks between the prime ministers of the two countries," it added.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close
SHARE
Story Saved
OPEN APP