Presidential candidate shot dead in Guinea-Bissau
Armed men wearing military uniforms burst into the home of a candidate in Guinea-Bissau's upcoming presidential election and shot him to death, officials and family said on Friday.world Updated: Jun 05, 2009 15:05 IST
Armed men wearing military uniforms burst into the home of a candidate in Guinea-Bissau's upcoming presidential election and shot him to death, officials and family said on Friday.
Baciro Dabo was sleeping next to his wife at around 4 am on Friday when the men broke into his residence and opened fire, killing him instantly, said his chief of staff, Lamine Diata.
Campaigning for the June 28 election was due to begin Saturday, and Dabo had resigned his post as territorial administration minister in mid-May to run as an independent in the vote. He was one of 13 candidates, and was not considered a favorite.
The special vote was organized after the West African country's president, Joao Bernardo "Nino" Vieira, was assassinated March 2, just hours after his longtime rival, the head of the armed forces, was killed by a bomb.
Dabo previously served as interior minister under Vieira. Bissau was calm and there were no other reports of violence in the city on Friday.
A former Portuguese colony, Guinea-Bissau has a long history of instability with numerous coups and attempted coups, most of which were led by the army.