Prosecution demands death for Egypt's Mubarak
Egyptian prosecutors today demanded the death penalty for ousted president Hosni Mubarak, arguing that the fallen dictator had ordered the killings of anti-regime demonstrators during the popular uprising last year.world Updated: Jan 06, 2012 13:12 IST
Egyptian prosecutors on Thursday demanded the death penalty for ousted president Hosni Mubarak, arguing that the fallen dictator had ordered the killings of anti-regime demonstrators during the popular uprising last year.
Wrapping up the case against Mubarak, chief prosecutor Mustafa Suleiman told the court that the former president took no measure to stop the killings during the 18-day uprising.
"He (Mubarak) is responsible for what happened and must bear the legal and political responsibility for what happened," Suleiman said.
The 83-year-old Mubarak is the first Arab leader to stand trial in person since uprisings began in the Arab world.
Suleiman also said that former interior minister Habib al-Adly sanctioned the use of live ammunition against anti-regime demonstrators on Mubarak's orders.
Mubarak, his two sons, Adly and six senior police officers face charges ranging from corruption to involvement in the deaths of around 850 protesters during the uprising that ended Mubarak's three decades in power.
The death penalty is the maximum sentence in the case of killing protesters. The same was also recommended for al-Adly and six police officers.
Mubarak and the other defendants deny any responsibility for the deaths.
The prosecution also mentioned how difficult their job was in collecting the evidence as the case started six months after the revolution.
They said they had to collect evidence themselves after the ministry of Interior refused to do so.
The case has been postponed till January 9 when the judge will listen to the testimonials by the injured and the families of the people who lost their lives in the revolution.
A verdict is expected before next April.
First Published: Jan 06, 2012 01:33 IST