Strauss-Kahn case: Maid's lawyers deny settlement
The lawyers for a hotel maid who has accused Dominique Strauss-Kahn of sexual assault has termed as “baseless” media reports that he had intended not to proceed with the criminal allegations against the former International Monetary Fund chief in return for a civil settlement.Updated: Aug 20, 2011 17:44 IST
The lawyers for a hotel maid who has accused Dominique Strauss-Kahn of sexual assault has termed as “baseless” media reports that he had intended not to proceed with the criminal allegations against the former International Monetary Fund (IMF) chief in return for a civil settlement.
"The allegation against me is absolutely false," a report in the New York Daily News quoted Kenneth Thompson as saying.
The Wall Street Journal had reported that Thompson had initiated talks with Strauss-Kahn's lawyers in which he had offered to hinder the criminal proceedings in return for a
payoff through a civil settlement.
“It's another baseless attack against Nafissatou Diallo and her attorneys and designed to distract people from the fact that Strauss-Kahn violently attacked and sexually assaulted an innocent woman inside that hotel room," Thompson said.
According to the report, Thompson did not respond to questions about whether Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance's office has requested or subpoenaed information about any negotiations with Strauss-Kahn's lawyers, Benjamin Brafman
and William Taylor.
The next court hearing in the case is on August 23 and prosecutors are expected to announce whether they intend to pursue the case.
The Journal report, quoting people familiar with the matter, had said Thompson discussed with the defence team about stalling the criminal case after questions were raised by the prosecutors over Diallo's credibility.
34-year-old Diallo's lawyers had also prepared a “confidentiality agreement for the meeting”.
Thompson had last week filed a civil lawsuit against Strauss-Kahn on behalf of his client seeking unspecified monetary damages for the sexual assault that happened in a posh Manhattan hotel in May.
Strauss-Kahn has denied any wrongdoing and his lawyers have said they will defend the case “vigorously”.
First Published: Aug 20, 2011 16:58 IST