Ukraine: Military, rebels trade blame over shelling of Donetsk | World News - Hindustan Times
close_game
close_game

Ukraine: Military, rebels trade blame over shelling of Donetsk

Reuters | By, Donetsk
Jul 19, 2015 07:01 PM IST

The Ukranian military and pro-Russian separatist were enegaged in a blame game over the shelling of residential districts of separatist-held Donetsk. This is the first attack on central parts of the city since a February ceasefire agreement.

The Ukrainian military and pro-Russian separatist were engaged in a blame game over the shelling of residential districts of separatist-held Donetsk. This is the first attack on central parts of the city since a February ceasefire agreement.

A woman assesses the damages to her house as a result of shelling between Ukrainian forces and pro-Russian separatists in the eastern Ukrainian city of Donetsk on Sunday. (AFP Photo)
A woman assesses the damages to her house as a result of shelling between Ukrainian forces and pro-Russian separatists in the eastern Ukrainian city of Donetsk on Sunday. (AFP Photo)


Late on Saturday, rebels said the attacks had killed one civilian, destroyed buildings and started several fires in the city. More than 6,500 people have been killed since the conflict broke out in eastern Ukraine in April last year.

Hindustan Times - your fastest source for breaking news! Read now.


Attacks have lessened since a peace agreement was brokered in Minsk, Belarus, five months ago, but both sides accuse each other of violations. Ukrainian military observers said they witnessed rebel missile systems "turned towards Donetsk, shelling residential areas of Donetsk, then turning and starting to fire in the direction of Ukrainian positions," Ukrainian General Andriy Taran said in a televised briefing.



Military spokesman Serhiy Galushko said the army had intercepted rebel radio traffic that also suggested separatists planned to shell the city. Senior rebel commander Eduard Basurin denied separatists were responsible for the attacks.



"Last time the centre of Donetsk was hit was in February. I have no explanation. The Ukrainian side says we shelled ourselves. Do you believe we can shell ourselves?," he told Reuters by phone.



The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), which is monitoring the ceasefire, has said neither side has fully withdrawn heavy artillery from the frontline as required by the peace deal.



The Ukrainian military said one serviceman had been killed and seven wounded in separatist attacks in the past 24 hours.


Unlock a world of Benefits with HT! From insightful newsletters to real-time news alerts and a personalized news feed – it's all here, just a click away! - Login Now! Get Latest World News along with Latest News from India at Hindustan Times.
SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Share this article
SHARE
Story Saved
Live Score
OPEN APP
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Monday, February 26, 2024
Start 14 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now
Follow Us On