US accepts international help for oil cleanup

The US agreed on Tuesday to accept help from the dozens of nations and international groups that have for weeks offered their assistance to collect oil in the Gulf of Mexico, the State Department said.
HT Image
HT Image
Updated on Jun 30, 2010 08:17 AM IST
Copy Link
None | ByDPA, Washington

The US agreed on Tuesday to accept help from the dozens of nations and international groups that have for weeks offered their assistance to collect oil in the Gulf of Mexico, the State Department said.

The US said it will accept offers from 22 countries and 12 international bodies for containment booms to halt the spread of oil and skimmers to collect it from the water.

The details of which offers will be accepted and how the help will be delivered were still being worked out, but would include two high speed skimmers and fire containment booms from Japan, the State Department said.

Offers from 27 countries in Latin America, Europe, Asia, Africa and the Middle East as well as the European Union, the International Maritime Organization and the United Nations were under consideration.

So far, the US had accepted help from just a handful of countries, including Mexico and Norway.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • Sri Lanka PM Ranil Wickremesinghe. (REUTERS FILE PHOTO)

    New Sri Lanka PM likely to provide ‘full explanation’ of financial crisis today

    Ranil Wickremesinghe, the new prime minister of Sri Lanka who was sworn-in last Thursday, is likely to address the country on Monday, in what would be the first national address of his record sixth term as the island nation's premier. During the speech, Wickremesinghe will present the 'full picture' of Sri Lanka's current economic crisis, its worst since 1948 when it gained independence from British rule.

  • A resident takes part in a round of Covid-19 testing during a lockdown in Shanghai, China

    Shanghai aims to return to normal life from June 1

    Shanghai aims to reopen broadly and allow normal life to resume from June 1, a city official said on Monday, after declaring that 15 of its 16 districts had eliminated cases outside quarantine areas. The city plans to gradually increase domestic flights and rail services, and from Monday will begin reopening supermarkets, convenience stores and pharmacies.

  • Orange County Sheriff's deputies guard the parking lot of Geneva Presbyterian Church in Laguna Woods, California after a fatal shooting.

    US witnesses 2 shootings in 48 hours, concerns over gun violence again: 5 points

    The United States witnessed two mass shootings within 48 hours, one of which was confirmed as racially motivated. In the Buffalo supermarket shooting, the gunman, identified as a white 18-year-old man, killed 10 and wounded three, most of them Black. On Sunday, a gunman went on a rampage at a church near Los Angeles, killing one and leaving four others in "critical" condition, as per the officials.

  • Ukrainian soldiers sit on a armoured military vehicule in the city of Severodonetsk, Donbass region. (AFP/Image used only for representation)

    Ukraine says it destroyed 11 Russian aerial assets, thwarted crossing of river

    The Ukrainian Air Force has claimed it targeted and destroyed as many as 11 Russian aerial assets, adding that in the process, it also prevented Moscow's troops from crossing a river, which, if true, would mean that Russian forces have, for a second time, failed to cross a river in Ukraine. The two-day battle was first reported by the UK on May 13. It has, however, taken 'significant losses,' as per various estimates.

  • State media didn’t specify how many of the fever cases and deaths were confirmed as COVID-19 cases.

    North Korea reports 8 deaths as Kim laments Covid response

    North Korea on Monday reported 8 new deaths and 392,920 more people with fever symptoms amid a growing Covid-19 outbreak as leader Kim Jong Un blasted officials over delays in medicine deliveries and ordered his military to get involved in the pandemic response in the country's capital, Pyongyang. The eight new deaths reported in the 24 hours through 6 p.m. Sunday brought its death toll to 50.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Monday, May 16, 2022