Star Wars: The Force Awakens is only a few months away and Disney is already planning ahead. They announced that Colin Trevorrow will direct Episode IX at the D23 convention on Saturday.
Audiences also saw a first glimpse of the cast of Gareth Edwards' anthology film Star Wars: Rogue One.
But Star Wars: The Force Awakens, out Dec. 18, remains cloaked in secrecy. Director JJ Abrams, stars Harrison Ford, Oscar Isaac, Daisy Ridley, Lupita Nyong'o, and John Boyega were on hand to wave at the screaming audience in the 7,500-seat auditorium, but revealed no new footage or information about the film.
Ford, who appeared with the cast at Comic-Con in July, spoke briefly when the audience screams died down.
"I'm following in the footsteps of George Lucas, the author of the early parts of my story, and now I'm delighted to be here with JJ and the cast and Disney, which has supported this effort in a really extraordinary way," said Ford, who will be playing Han Solo once more in the film, set about 30 years after the events of Return of the Jedi.
"It's a great thrill to be here with you and who made this whole thing happen, I couldn't be happier," he said.
After showing only behind-the-scenes footage at Comic-Con, many expected to see something new from the film at the Disney-only event, but the cast was shuffled off stage quickly so that Disney CEO Bob Iger could announce the plans for Star Wars themed lands at the Disney Parks.
Watch the Comic-Con footage here
Disney acquired Lucasfilm in 2012 and has a slew of Star Wars films and spin-offs set for the next few years. The new trilogy will kick off with Abrams' film this December, followed by Looper writer/director Rian Johnson's Star Wars: Episode VIII.
Trevorrow, whose Jurassic World broke box office records this summer with over $1.6 billion in global earnings had been rumoured to be joining the Star Wars fold before Saturday's announcement. Episode IX is planned for 2019.