Articles by Sharmita Kar
- Amid all the crises around the world, one of the biggest and often the most overlooked is that of climate change.
BySharmita Kar | Edited by Sohini Goswami
- The Varanasi court, hearing the Gyanvapi mosque case, was to give a verdict on whether to hear first the Hindu petitioners' plea to invite objections to the survey report or the Muslim side's case that the writ is not maintainable.
- A war in the centre of Europe became the most-talked about topic of the year so far and the leaders of the two nations – Vladimir Putin and Volodymyr Zelensky – made it to the TIME's list of 100 most influential people.
- Tharoor is known to introduce rare words with difficult pronunciations to his followers on Twitter, leaving them to search for a dictionary.
- Sitharaman slammed the Congress for criticising the fuel price cut, comparing expenditure under the Modi government with that of the Congress.
- LPG cylinder prices have breached the ₹1,000-mark across the country. At present, a 14.2 kg domestic LPG cylinder in Delhi and Mumbai costs ₹1,003.
- The government's decision comes at a time when the number cases pertaining to spam calls and frauds have been on the rise. The KYC-based system is expected to safeguard users against such incidents.
- Indrani Mukherjea served seven years in Mumbai's Byculla jail for her role in the murder of her daughter with first husband Sanjeev Khanna.
- Jet Airways has not flown since April 17, 2019, when Naresh Goyal owned it, when it ran into a huge debt that left 20,000 employees jobless.
- The decision was taken in the first week of CEC Rajiv Kumar taking charge as a measure to observe austerity in personal entitlements, the commission said.
- A “red” warning has been issued for the Andhra Pradesh coast, while at least 50 disaster relief teams have been earmarked across Andhra, Odisha and West Bengal coasts.
- Former Haryana chief minister Om Prakash Chautala qualified Class 10 and Class 12 board exam at the age of 87.
- The statement comes in response to a series of regressive laws imposed by the Taliban against Afghan women, the latest being mandatory ‘all-covering burqa’ to step out of home.
- The WHO said it developed an ‘innovative’ and ‘robust’ methodology for its findings that are completely transparent. The Centre said all its letters seeking a clarification were met with a lukewarm response.
- Jet Airways conducted a test flight three years after it faced a setback and had to discontinue its operations.
- Sri Lanka has been battling for basic amenities such as food and electricity and the country is unable to buy sufficient fuel and gas due to the economic crisis.
BySharmita Kar | Edited by Aniruddha Dhar
Much-awaited ₹21,000 crore LIC IPO has opened for the general public at a price band of ₹902 to ₹949 per equity share.
- Ghulam Nabi Azad's comments come amid ongoing talks on assembly elections in Jammu and Kashmir.
- A new study showed that pregnant women were at a greater risk of hospitalisation and ICU admission if infected with Covid-19, and may also face premature child birth.
- Shahnawaz Akhtar, like many others from his religious community, was observing a Ramzan fast. To his surprise, the railway catering staff offered him a special Iftar meal at the break of his fast.
India Covid-19 update: The new cases today were at least 17 per cent higher than Tuesday, while the active caseload jumped to 16,279.
BySharmita Kar | Edited by Poulomi Ghosh, New Delhi
Shiv Sena vs Rana: A power couple in Maharashtra politics, Ravi Rana and Navneet Kaur, rose to prominence as independent candidates by garnering support of other Independents and smaller parties.
- ‘Agni Kheli’ or ‘Thoothedhara’ is an age-old tradition followed by devotees of the Durgaparameshwari Temple in Kateel town, about 30 kilometres from Mangaluru, in Karnataka.
Earth Day is celebrated on April 22 every year to raise awareness about pertinent issues, like pollution, deforestation and global warming. The theme for this year's event is ‘Invest in Our Planet’.
The IMF praised India's decision to prioritise public investment but said that the challenges arising from Russia's war on Ukraine were ‘quite severe’.
- Billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk is known to raise eyebrows with his viral cryptic tweets and lately, it has all been about speculations surrounding his offer to buy Twitter.
- India Covid-19 cases: This comes a day after the daily count nearly doubled to more than 2,000 cases for the first time since March.
- Heavy security has been deployed in Delhi's Jahangirpuri and neighbouring areas in order to maintain peace and harmony in the national capital.
Communal clashes have been reported in several parts of the country on Ram Navami and Hanuman Jayanti, including the latest in Delhi's Jahangirpuri.
- Clamour grows against Sri Lankan president Gotabaya Rajapaksa as trade unions, artists and sportspersons join protests outside his beachfront office in Colombo's Galle Face.