19 black spots on Bhopal roads await PWD, BMC action
Almost nine months after traffic police identified 19 black spots—high accident-prone sites—on Bhopal roads and wrote to the authorities, the PWD and BMC are yet to take action.bhopal Updated: Nov 27, 2016 13:58 IST
Almost nine months after traffic police identified 19 black spots—high accident-prone sites—on Bhopal roads and wrote to the authorities, the PWD and BMC are yet to take action.
“We have identified the black spots after analysing cases of road accidents at all major traffic points and squares,” additional superintendent of police (traffic), Sameer Yadav told HT.
He said that at many spots, the measures to prevent accidents have to be taken by the public works department (PWD) and Bhopal municipal corporation (BMC).
Letters were written to the authorities concerned—first on February 2 followed by two reminders on March 12 and October 13, “but they are yet to take any action,” he said.
PWD and BMC officials were not available for comments on the matter despite several attempts.
On the identification of the black spots, Yadav said they had set a criteria of ten accidents in a year with at least three deaths and found 19 sites.
The spots include the stretch from Hamidia hospital to JAD over-bridge at Koh-e-Fiza locality, the stretch from Nadra bus stand to Sabzi Mandi at Hanumanganj locality, Bairasia road near Sonkatch at Bairasia locality, RRL trisection at Bagsewaniya locality, BHEL gate number 1 near Bima Hospital at Piplani locality and others.
At least 115 incidents have taken place at these 19 spots.
Yadav noted that while most accidents were due to reckless driving and over-speeding, some are also due to badly maintained roads with potholes and broken solders.
“At many of the spots, people cross each other’s vehicles at intersections without any caution,” he said.
The traffic police have taken some measures at the black spots such as putting up boards of speed limits, installing stoppers, deploying police personnel and installing traffic signals, Yadav said.
S. no. Spot Locality No. of accidents
1. BHEL gate no. 1 near Bima Hospital Piplani 8
2. LNCT College road Bilkhiriya 5
3. Hamidia hospital to JAD overbridge Koh-e-Fiza 9
4. Main road near Sanchi Dhaba Sukhisewaniya 5
5. Balampur Ghati Sukhisewaniya 7
6. RRL trisection Bagsewaniya 8
7. Samardha bridge Misrod 6
8. Near Bhouri village at Sehore road Khajurisdak 7
9. 11 Mile trisection Misrod 8
10. Near co-operative premises Piplani 5
11. Nadra bus stand to Sabji mandi Hanumanganj 9
12. Near Bapu ki Kutia Jahangirabad 5
13. Chetak bridge, ISBT road Govindpura 6
14. Naya Pull near Union Carbide plant Gautamnagar 5
15. Subhash Fatak MP Nagar 5
16. Bairasia road near Sonkatch Bairasia 9
17. Near Control room Jehangirabad 1
18. Near Airport turning Gandhi Nagar 4
19. Near new jail Gandhi Nagar 3
First Published: Nov 27, 2016 13:58 IST