Debt-ridden farmer commits suicide in MP
A debt-ridden farmer in MP’s Tikamgarh district committed suicide on Tuesday evening due to crop loss.
Drought in Bundelkhand coupled with crop failure over the last few years has sparked a spree of suicides by debt-ridden farmers in the region.
Since October 2015, 40 farmers have committed suicide due to crop loss and inability to repay loan in five districts of Bundelkhand (Sagar, Damoh, Tikamgarh, Chhattarpur and Panna). These districts received below average rainfall.
Police said Kalla Raikwar, 42, committed suicide by consuming pesticide at his farmland in Khiston Hal village.
Raikwar was under pressure from moneylenders to repay loan. His wife Bhori was suffering from the last stage of mouth cancer.
He had 2.5 acres farm and had taken 5 acres farmland on contract.
Raikwar had also taken a loan from local moneylenders for treatment of his wife and agriculture purpose.
Sources said the interest plus the loan had reached `1.5 lakh, and he wanted to repay the loan with a good kharif crop but his hopes were shattered due to crop failure. Rabi crops also failed.
Prithvipur police station officer LP Yadav said police lodged a case and were investigating it.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Balveer Singh Yadav, 45, a resident of Bharrad village of Madhya Pradesh's Morena district had been arrested in 2006 in connection to a murder case.
- The victim died on Saturday while undergoing treatment at a private hospital in Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh.
- Yadav has shown through for his commitment while managing the crowd of patients and visitors at the hospital without taking a single leave since March 2020, said a hospital official
- The accused confessed to their crime and said they killed Sahu over a dispute over ₹5 crore that the deceased was demanding from Naresh Gurjar, one of the main accused, said police.
- A senior BJP leader said it was unfortunate that Congress leaders continue to insult women but the Congress high command remains silent.
- The DGP stated eloping with boyfriends as one of the reasons behind the disappearance of girls and women in urban areas.
- People found ancient coins on the bank of river in Madhya Pradesh's Shivpura village a few days ago.
- Covaxin is India’s first indigenous Covid-19 vaccine developed by Bharat Biotech.