Actor Jeetu Verma attacked with stones in Chittorgarh, might lose sight
Actor Jeetu Verma, who has appeared in supporting roles in Bollywood films like Bodyguard and Soldier, was attacked while travelling to Jaipur on Thursday, a report says.
According to Mumbai Mirror, the actor was on his way to Jaipur from Mount Abu, when unidentified locals began pelting his car with stones as he was crossing a forest area in Chittorgarh.
“There is a 40-km patch of forest area near Chittorgarh, which is en route. It was broad daylight and Jeetu was sitting next to the driver in the front seat. Suddenly, some locals started pelting their car. The driver picked up speed but the stones kept coming. One hit the windshield and it cracked. Jeetu’s eye was hit and bleeding profusely even as the driver raced away,” his brother Manohar Verma, who is the action director of films like Madras Cafe, Airlift and Neerja, told Mirror.
The actor/businessman, 49, who owns over a dozen horses, runs a training academy for riders and coaches Bollywood actors for riding sequences (he also trained Kangana Ranaut for Rangoon), was carried out of the car at a nearby toll booth, where the police were questioning passengers of two other vehicles that were similarly attacked. He was then taken to Udaipur airport and then flown to Mumbai.
“Meanwhile, the police assessed the vehicle and also recovered the stones that had cracked the glass and fallen into the car. But there needs to be more security. When such occurrences are happening in the region on a daily basis, it is important that stringent measures be taken immediately,” Manohar said, adding, “There was an attack on Sanjay Leela Bhansali in the same region recently (the National award-winning filmmaker was attacked by members of the Karni Sena on the sets of his upcoming historical-drama Padmavati in Jaipur), for very different reasons, but security forces and the police officers were still incompetent. Something needs to be done. Rajasthan cannot become this unsafe!”
Two days after the incident, Jeetu was operated upon. The doctor in charge, S Natarajan, confirmed to Mumbai Mirror that he had a fractured eyebrow, which required 10 stitches, and had lost retinal function in one eye.
Actor Suniel Shetty came to Verma’s aid, his wife Kusum said. “Luckily, in these trying times we have received support from Jeetu’s close friend (actor-producer-businessman) Suniel Shetty. Sunielji arranged for Jeetu to be transported and admitted to this hospital the moment he landed in Mumbai. Now, we hope that he recovers soon and other travellers don’t suffer such horrors in the future.”
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- An unseen picture of Saif Ali Khan with his son Ibrahim Ali Khan from latter's birthday bash has surfaced online. See it here.
- Priyanka Chopra has shared information about a new restaurant called Sona in New York. She has been creatively involved with it from contributing in its design, menu, music and even with its name.
- Elli AvrRam has shared the first look of her upcoming dance number with Aamir Khan, from the film Koi Jaane Na.
- Arjun Kapoor and Anshula Kapoor have shared special birthday posts for their half-sister, Janhvi Kapoor. Read their messages here.
- Fans clamoured for any new detail about Kareena Kapoor's new baby, after she posted a year-in-recap post on Instagram.
- Actor Janhvi Kapoor, who turned 24 on Saturday, has spoken about the most valuable life lessons she learned from her parents, Boney Kapoor and Sridevi.
- Ranveer Singh took to Instagram and shared an old picture featuring Rohan Shrestha on the photographer's birthday. The photo was taken when they were 14.
- "I will not make the statement you want me to, take my smile instead," said Gul Panag, refusing to comment on statements made by several celebrities about the farmers' protest, in a video being widely shared online.
- Actor Kangana Ranaut has said that she hasn't taken a single holiday in 2021, and has worked through her periods.
- Actors Swara Bhasker, Richa Chadha, Tisca Chopra, Satyadeep Misra, Rajshri Deshpande and others took to social media to voice their support for Taapsee Pannu and Anurag Kashyap.
- Janhvi Kapoor had once revealed how her mother did not want her to join films. Sridevi felt her older daughter would not be able to survive in the industry.
- New behind-the-scenes photos from the sets of an advertisment capture Ranbir Kapoor's transformation into an old man.