Akshay Kumar says Ajay Devgn ‘pushed him out’ of Phool Aur Kaante at Sooryavanshi trailer launch
Akshay Kumar and Ajay Devgn will join forces to fight terrorism in Rohit Shetty’s new cop drama Sooryavanshi. Though the actors are great friends now and are happily sharing screen space with each other, did you know that they once fought for the same role?
During the Sooryavanshi trailer launch, Akshay revealed that he was originally cast in Phool Aur Kaante (1991), but Ajay ‘pushed him out’ of it. Phool Aur Kaante marked Ajay’s debut in Bollywood, while Akshay’s first outing as a leading man was Saugandh, which released in the same year.
Introducing Ajay as his old friend, Akshay said at the event, “Hum dono ne apna career saath mein hi shuru kiya tha. Aisa shuru kiya tha ki ek hi film ke liye dono lade the. Pehli film jo humari thi, Phool Aur Kaante, jisme pehle main tha phir mujhe dhakka maar ke isne liya (We both started our careers together. We started out in such a way that we fought for the same film. I was originally cast in Phool Aur Kaante but he pushed me out and got the film for himself).”
Watch | Akshay Kumar, Ajay Devgn, Ranveer Singh at Sooryanvanshi trailer launch
Akshay then went on to say that he and Ajay have come a long way since then and have even done a number of films together. The two stars, who have worked together in films like Suhaag, Khakee and Insan, also requested their fans and fan clubs not to fight with each other.
While Akshay plays the lead, DCP Veer Sooryavanshi, in Rohit Shetty’s film, Ajay will be seen in a guest appearance as Inspector Bajirao Singham. Ranveer Singh will also make a cameo as his Simmba character Inspector Sangram Bhalerao.
Sooryavanshi also stars Katrina Kaif as Akshay’s wife. The film marks the onscreen reunion of the two stars after a decade – they last shared screen space in Farah Khan’s Tees Maar Khan.
Presented by Reliance Entertainment and produced by Rohit Shetty Picturez in association with Dharma Productions and Cape of Good Films, Sooryavanshi releases on March 24.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Shah Rukh Khan's daughter Suhana Khan dropped a new picture with a friend and upped her glamour game. She is currently in New York.
- Actor Vidya Balan has said that it has taken her time to accept her body because, at one point in her life, she used to hate it.
- Kangana Ranaut, who earlier accused Vikas Bahl of inappropriate behaviour, thanked him for turning her career around with Queen. She said that he 'played a very significant role' in shaping her destiny.
- Shahid Kapoor aced the Centre of Gravity challenge, much to the surprise of his wife Mira Rajput, who called him a 'smooth operator'. Watch the video here.
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui's wife Aaliya has reaffirmed her wish to reconcile with the actor in a new interview, adding that she is ready to mend her ties with his brother Shamas.
- Rhea Kapoor dedicated an adorable Instagram post to her boyfriend Karan Boolani. She shared pictures of her showering him with kisses. See his reply here.
- Taimur Ali Khan was photographed in Mumbai on Sunday. The star kid was seen out with his father Saif Ali Khan and half-sister Sara Ali Khan.
- Sara Ali Khan shared two new pictures from brother Ibrahim's birthday party. More pictures were shared by one of Ibrahim's friends.