Ayushmann Khurrana’s same-sex kiss in Shubh Mangal Zyada Saavdhan to get a pass from CBFC: report
A same-sex kiss in Shubh Mangal Zyada Saavdhan will likely be given the clean chit by the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC), according to a report. Members of the Censor Board will soon be shown the film ahead of its February 21 release, and are expected to clear the scene with a minor change.
Bollywood Hungama quotes a source as saying, “No member of the censor board had any objection to the same-sex kiss in the trailer. However, the expletive that Gajraj Rao (playing Jitendra Kumar’s father) utters when he sees his son kissing his male lover, has been beeped.”
A source close to producer Aanand L Rai was quoted as saying, “Aanand was very apprehensive about the kiss. He wanted a ‘U’ certificate for the trailer of Shubh Mangal Zyada Saavdhan. And for that he was anxious that the CBFC would ask for the kiss to be removed. But no one objected to the kiss, only to the swear word that Gajraj Rao utters when the kiss happens.”
According to the report, the board has no intention of demanding a snip to the scene in the theatrical cut of the film. A source said, “They are looking at it as a love story, not a GAY love story, a sure sign that the censor board in India has evolved.”
Shubh Mangal Zyada Saavdhan is a standalone sequel to the 2017 film Shubh Mangal Saavdhan. The film stars Ayushmann Khurrana as a gay man, and is being touted as the first mainstream gay love story in Bollywood. The film also stars Jitendra Kumar, Neena Gupta and Gajraj Rao.
Speaking about the kiss, Jitendra had told Mumbai Mirror in an interview, “I am a reserved person, but Ayushmann made me comfortable. He is easy to work with and is quite friendly.”
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui's wife Aaliya has said that she is willing to restart life with the actor after seeing his caring side for the last few days.
- Ahead of the release of Roohi, Janhvi Kapoor talked about why she did not use her mother Sridevi's ChaalBaaz as a reference point, facing criticism from a young age and her upcoming projects.
- Videos of Shraddha Kapoor dancing at her cousin Priyaank Sharma's wedding in the Maldives are going viral on the internet.
- Alia Bhatt was seen in a bridal avatar in her new advertisement. Fans loved it and wished to see her get married in real life too. She is in a relationship with Ranbir Kapoor.
- Anil Kapoor joked that Jackie Shroff has threatened to slap him multiple times unless he confirms a film together. The two have starred in 12 films together, till date.
- Mika Singh talked about marriage on Indian Pro Music League. He said that he is the ‘only forever bachelor’ after Salman Khan and wishes to keep his tag for some time.
- Anushka Sharma and Virat Kohli met in a rather unconventional manner, during an ad shoot. While she was confident, he was a 'jittery and nervous'. Read the rest of the story here.