Shubh Mangal Zyada Saavdhan: ‘Even Ayushmann Khurrana had been lobbying to get me on board,’ says Jitendra Kumar
Actor Jitendra Kumar, famous for his spoof of Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal in The Viral Fever series, will star alongside Ayushmann Khurrana in the upcoming film, Shubh Mangal Zyada Saavdhan. Ahead of its release, he spoke to Mumbai Mirror where he mentioned how he got the film, directed by Hitesh Kewalya, and how even Ayushamann had lobbied to have him in the film.
Speaking about it, Jitendra said that while he wasn’t apprehensive about the subject, he wanted to know if the film was written responsibly. He was in Bhopal for a digital show, when he was offered the film, dealing with a same-sex couple. He was quoted as saying, “I met Hitesh two months after the offer came along. When I heard the narration, I instantly knew I wanted to be part of the film. I discovered later that even Ayushmann had been lobbying to get me on board.”
There has been a lot of talk about the kiss they share in the film. Speaking about it, Jitendra said, “I am a reserved person, but Ayushmann made me comfortable. He is easy to work with and is quite friendly.” On his expectations from Shubh Mangal Zyada Saavdhan, he said, “I am playing lead parts in web shows as well, but the finances and economics there and in films are different. I hope Shubh... will result in more lead roles and good stories on the big screen. I know there will be struggle, but I am game.”
Watch the trailer of Shubh Mangal Zyada Saavdhan here:
Not many would know that Jitendra is an IIT Kharagpur alumnus. He is among the many engineer-turned-actors in Bollywood, including Vicky Kaushal, Sushant Singh Rajput, Kartik Aaryan and Kriti Sanon.
Speaking about doing Shubh Mangal Zyada Saavdhan, Ayushmann, meanwhile, had mentioned recently that many in the film industry had asked him to do a rethink. He said, “I’m what I’m because of my family. They have constantly been a massive support system for me and they have always enabled me in taking the biggest life decisions. When I decided to pursue a career in showbiz, they stood by me like a rock.”
“When I decided that my brand of cinema will stand for taboo-breaking subjects and characters like being a sperm donor in Vicky Donor, a man dealing with erectile dysfunction in Shubh Mangal Saavdhan, someone who is prematurely balding in Bala, to now proudly playing a gay man in Shubh Mangal Zyada Saavdhan, they told me to always back my instincts and never think of what society or my immediate community will say about me,” he added.
The film releases on February 21. It also stars Neena Gupta and Gajraj Rao.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Actor Pooja Bhatt has said that she took a step back from acting because she had no desire to play 'arm candy' to heroes.
- Arjun Kapoor and Anshula Kapoor have shared special birthday posts for their half-sister, Janhvi Kapoor. Read their messages here.
- Fans clamoured for any new detail about Kareena Kapoor's new baby, after she posted a year-in-recap post on Instagram.
- Actor Janhvi Kapoor, who turned 24 on Saturday, has spoken about the most valuable life lessons she learned from her parents, Boney Kapoor and Sridevi.
- Ranveer Singh took to Instagram and shared an old picture featuring Rohan Shrestha on the photographer's birthday. The photo was taken when they were 14.
- "I will not make the statement you want me to, take my smile instead," said Gul Panag, refusing to comment on statements made by several celebrities about the farmers' protest, in a video being widely shared online.
- Actor Kangana Ranaut has said that she hasn't taken a single holiday in 2021, and has worked through her periods.
- Actors Swara Bhasker, Richa Chadha, Tisca Chopra, Satyadeep Misra, Rajshri Deshpande and others took to social media to voice their support for Taapsee Pannu and Anurag Kashyap.
- Janhvi Kapoor had once revealed how her mother did not want her to join films. Sridevi felt her older daughter would not be able to survive in the industry.
- New behind-the-scenes photos from the sets of an advertisment capture Ranbir Kapoor's transformation into an old man.
- Actor Rhea Chakraborty's lawyer Satish Maneshinde has called the 12000-page charge sheet filed by the Narcotics Control Bureau in the Sushant Singh Rajput's death case a 'damp squib'.
- Gauahar Khan has shared a video of her father, recalling the 'most favourite memory' of her life. The actor's father died on Friday.
- Actor and politician Nafisa Ali has shared some glorious pictures from her youth. Needless to say, she looks beautiful in them. Check them out here.