Ayushmann Khurrana’s Shubh Mangal Zyada Saavdhan banned in Dubai and UAE for homosexuality: report
Shubh Mangal Zyada Saavdhan, starring Ayushmann Khurrana and Jitendra Kumar, has been denied release in Dubai and UAE for its homosexual content. According to a report in Bollywood Hungama, the makers even offered to snip the kiss between Ayushmann and Jitendra, but to no avail.
A source informed the website, “We knew this was coming. Or, rather not coming. We really wanted to see what Shubh Mangal Zyada Saavdhan has to say, since it is the first Bollywood film that normalises a gay relationship. Sadly, all films with a gay content are banned in these parts.”
When the producers offered to cut out the scene in which Ayushmann and Jitendra lock lips, they were told that it was not about the kiss in particular but the theme of homosexuality.
Directed by Hitesh Kewalya, Shubh Mangal Zyada Saavdhan is a love story between two men in small-town India. The film has Ayushmann and Jitendra battling the latter’s homophobic family to gain acceptance. While it has been more than a year since homosexuality was decriminalised in India, same-sex relationships continue to largely remain taboo.
In an interview with IANS, Ayushmann applauded the progressiveness of Bollywood to make important films like Shubh Mangal Zyada Saavdhan. “As an artist, I’m fortunate and privileged to be living and working in such times. I’m proud of my country and industry for the progressiveness that it has shown in the recent past and I’m grateful that I’m part of such a vision like Shubh Mangal Zyada Saavdhan that tells us about important life and societal lessons,” he said.
Shubh Mangal Zyada Saavdhan, which also stars Neena Gupta, Gajraj Rao and Maanvi Gagroo in key roles, has just opened in theatres. The film releases alongside Bhanu Pratap Singh’s horror film Bhoot – Part One: The Haunted Ship, starring Vicky Kaushal and Bhumi Pednekar.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Priyaank Sharma and Shaza Morani hosted a Christian-style wedding ceremony in the Maldives this week. The couple exchanged their vows at a beach ceremony, and danced to Ed Sheeran's Perfect.
- Twitter users reacted after Kangana Ranaut shamed 'achievers' of today for wearing 'torn American jeans and rags like blouses'. Some found pictures of Kangana herself wearing the clothes that she described.
- Sunny Leone 'found' husband Daniel Weber wearing nothing but a strategically placed hat, and decided to shoot a video of him for her Instagram followers.
- The trailer for Flight, a new film starring Mohit Chadda, has been released. Watch here.
- Shabana Azmi shared a rare throwback picture from the golden era. While there are number of well-known faces in the picture, she mentioned how she failed to recall who the Soviets were in the picture.
- A video of Shraddha grooving to Stree song Kamariya during her birthday celebrations in Maldives has appeared online.
- Ibrahim Ali Khan attended the wedding of Punjab CM Amarinder Singh's granddaughter recently, and pictures of him having a good time have surfaced online.
- Priyanka Chopra and mother Madhu Chopra were recently spotted taking a walk on a London street. The actor is in the UK for the shooting of spy series, Citadel.
- Tiger Shroff, mom Ayesha Shroff, sister Krishna Shroff and rumoured girlfriend Disha Patani came together for the actor's birthday dinner.
- Shraddha Kapoor turns 34 on Wednesday and to celebrate we are revisiting the time she told her father, Shakti Kapoor, how proud she was of him.
- Here's a video of almost-baby Tiger Shroff, taking to the stage with his father, Jackie, back in the early 1990s.
- The creatives behind an apparel advertisement featuring Deepika Padukone have been accused of plagiarism by Yeh Ballet filmmaker Sooni Taraporevala, who has called the incident 'intellectual theft'.
- Fans have once again spotted similarities between Tiger Shroff's character in Heropanti 2, and Agent 47 in the Hitman video game series. A new poster for the film debuted on Tuesday.
- Kajol celebrated the completion of one year of her short film, Devi. She mentioned how the film could still make her emotional.