How did 2019’s Uri: The Surgical Strike become eligible for 2018 National Film Awards? Here’s the answer
Aditya Dhar’s debut film Uri: The Surgical Strike raked in the most number of awards at the National Film Awards winners announcement on Friday. From Best Director to Best Actor, the film’s cast and crew has a lot to celebrate. However, many on social media are confused why the film was even considered for this awards season at all.
The 66th National Film Awards will honour and reward films that came out in 2018. Because Uri: The Surgical Strike released on January 11, 2019, it left many wondering if the film was even eligible for the awards.
The criteria for any film to enter the race for National Film Awards, it is supposed to have earned its certificate from the Central Board of Film Certification from Janurary 1 of that year to December 31 of that year. Luckily, Uri got its certificate on December 31, 2018, therefore making it eligible for the awards this year itself.
Uri won the best director award for Aditya Dhar and Best Actor award for Vicky Kaushal. Vicky shared his award with Ayushmann Khurrana, who won it for Andhadhun. The film that saw Vicky play an Indian Army officer also won the Sound Designer award (Bishwadeep Dipak Chatterjee) and Best Music Director (Background Music) for Shashwat Sachdev.
While announcing the award, chairperson Rahul Rawail said that “every beat and background sound was captivating and heart touching”.
Talking about winning a National Award for his very first film, Aditya said “15 years of failures, rejections and hard work has lead to this moment and it just can’t get better than this.” He added, “Thank you India, thank you Ministry of Information & Broadcasting and all the Jury members of National Award committee for considering me worthy enough for this prestigious award. This is an honour I am going to cherish for the rest of my life. Being conferred with the National Award has been a dream since the time I understood what films meant to me, and films truly mean the world to me.”
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Twitter users reacted after Kangana Ranaut shamed 'achievers' of today for wearing 'torn American jeans and rags like blouses'. Some found pictures of Kangana herself wearing the clothes that she described.
- Sunny Leone 'found' husband Daniel Weber wearing nothing but a strategically placed hat, and decided to shoot a video of him for her Instagram followers.
- The trailer for Flight, a new film starring Mohit Chadda, has been released. Watch here.
- Shabana Azmi shared a rare throwback picture from the golden era. While there are number of well-known faces in the picture, she mentioned how she failed to recall who the Soviets were in the picture.
- A video of Shraddha grooving to Stree song Kamariya during her birthday celebrations in Maldives has appeared online.
- Ibrahim Ali Khan attended the wedding of Punjab CM Amarinder Singh's granddaughter recently, and pictures of him having a good time have surfaced online.
- Priyanka Chopra and mother Madhu Chopra were recently spotted taking a walk on a London street. The actor is in the UK for the shooting of spy series, Citadel.
- Tiger Shroff, mom Ayesha Shroff, sister Krishna Shroff and rumoured girlfriend Disha Patani came together for the actor's birthday dinner.
- Shraddha Kapoor turns 34 on Wednesday and to celebrate we are revisiting the time she told her father, Shakti Kapoor, how proud she was of him.
- Here's a video of almost-baby Tiger Shroff, taking to the stage with his father, Jackie, back in the early 1990s.
- The creatives behind an apparel advertisement featuring Deepika Padukone have been accused of plagiarism by Yeh Ballet filmmaker Sooni Taraporevala, who has called the incident 'intellectual theft'.
- Fans have once again spotted similarities between Tiger Shroff's character in Heropanti 2, and Agent 47 in the Hitman video game series. A new poster for the film debuted on Tuesday.
- Kajol celebrated the completion of one year of her short film, Devi. She mentioned how the film could still make her emotional.
- Several Twitter users pointed out that the poster for the upcoming Saina Nehwal biopic, starring Parineeti Chopra, appears to show an incorrect serve action.