I was bombarded with ‘bold’ roles, says Surveen Chawla
Surveen Chawla made her film debut with Hate Story 2 in 2014. Her sensual role in the movie earned her the image of a bold actor. But Surveen feels it’s sad that the industry often typecasts an actor into a particular image.
She says, “People label you, and they don’t see what more you are capable of. Film-makers should see if actors fit their characters. Post Hate Story 2, everyone felt that since I have done a sensual role, they can give me similar ones. But, when people offer me a ‘bold’ role, it flabbergasts me. Why don’t the makers look beyond, and see what the actor is capable of doing?”
Surveen adds, “After Hate Story 2, I was bombarded with ‘bold and sexy’ roles. It got tiring, and that’s why I didn’t sign any Hindi movies. I don’t want to do films for the sake of it. I’d rather wait.”
Read: Not easy to make in the glamour world, says Surveen Chawla
Surveen made her acting debut in 2003 with the TV show, Kahiin To Hoga, and graduated to films in 2008. She did 15 films in various languages, including Punjabi and Tamil. Now, she is back on TV with a finite show that features her in a substantial role. Talking about her transition from TV to films, the actor says, “It’s sad that there is a huge gap between film and TV actors. You are looked down upon and called a ‘TV actor’. People suggested that I shouldn’t mention such and such show [to filmmakers], but I didn’t want to hide my work.”
Watch Surveen Chawla in a song from Ugly
Recently though, Surveen worked with Anil Kapoor on a television show, and had wonderful experience. She says, “Anil sir’s energy is infectious. It is contagious. He is always pumped up and charged. He takes care of his actors and the unit members, and provides them with awesome food. He is incredible.”
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Kangana Ranaut, who deleted a controversial tweet against Tandav, defended it from allegations of inciting violence.
- Actor Shabana Azmi has shared a picture of herself, smiling from ear-to-ear, on the one-year anniversary of a near-fatal car crash.
- Remo D'Souza, who recently had a health scare, was spotted out and about town with friend Aamir Ali. Watch a video here.
- Citing the examples of Deepika Padukone, Kangana Rananut and Alia Bhatt, Taapsee Pannu has said that it is 'tedious' to find male stars to do female-led films.
- Mira Rapjut has shared new photos and videos from her Goa vacation with husband, actor Shahid Kapoor. Check them out here.
- Kangana Ranaut shared a video of Jiah Khan's sister levelling serious allegations of sexual harassment against Sajid Khan. She suggested that he has the 'full support' of the 'mafia' in the film industry.
- Actor Minissha Lamba has said that there is no longer any stigma attached to separation, and if a relationship isn't working, it is advisable to part ways amicably.
- Shah Rukh Khan jokingly took offence as the official Twitter handle of Kolkata Knight Riders declared Juhi Chawla’s husband Jay Mehta as the 'most affable gentleman'.
- Actor Sonam Kapoor has shared a new image from the Glasgow sets of her upcoming film, Blind. Her dad, Anil Kapoor, left a comment on her post.
- Natasa Stankovic has paid a heartfelt tribute to Hardik Pandya’s father who died on Saturday after suffering a heart attack.