‘My family has been destroyed’: Rhea Chakraborty’s mother says she’s considered suicide, is paranoid about what will happen next
Actor Rhea Chakraborty’s mother, Sandhya, admitting that she contemplated suicide, has said that she hasn’t been able to eat properly or sleep on the bed ever since her children were arrested and put behind bars. Rhea was granted bail by the Bombay High Court on Wednesday, after spending nearly a month at the Byculla Jail for drugs-related charges in the Sushant Singh Rajput death case.
Rhea has been accused by Sushant’s father of abetting the actor’s suicide and misappropriating his funds. She was arrested by the Narcotics Control Bureau in September, after the central agency found evidence tying her to the purchase of banned drugs.
Rhea’s mother told The Times of India, “What she has gone through... how will she heal from this? But she is a fighter and she must be strong.” She continued, “I’ll have to put her on therapy to help her get over this trauma and reclaim her life.”
But, she said, when Rhea came home, she told her parents to stay strong. Sandhya said that despite being attacked verbally and physically, Rhea maintained her ‘dignity’. “Yet, even after she came home today, she looked at us and said: ‘Why do you look sad, we have to be strong and fight this’,” she said.
Also Watch l Rhea Chakraborty exits jail in car with covered windows | Drugs case
While Rhea and two members of Sushant’s house staff -- Samuel Miranda and Dipesh Sawant -- have been granted bail, her brother Showik remains incarcerated. Sandhya said, “While it’s a relief she’s out of prison, it’s crazy it’s still not over. My son is still behind bars and I’m paranoid about what tomorrow will bring.” She added, “I can’t sleep on the bed anymore when my children are suffering in jail. I can’t eat. I wake up in the middle of the night, gripped by a fear of the next thing that could go wrong. My family’s not just been pushed to a corner, it’s been destroyed. At one point I thought the only way to end it was by ending my life. I’m not this kind of a person, you know. I’ve sought therapy for myself. Now when these feelings appear, I keep reminding myself I need to be there for my children. They’re going through far worse.”
Responding to recent reports of their neighbour claiming that Sushant had dropped Rhea off at her home on June 13, a day before he died, Sandhya said that the claims can easily be disproven if the authorities investigate Sushant’s location via cell towers.
She said that the family has installed CCTV cameras for protection, as they panic ‘every time the doorbell rings’.
Rhea’s lawyer, Satish Maneshinde, in an interview to NDTV called her a ‘Bengal tigress’, and said that she would ‘fight back’ to restore her tarnished image.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Divya Dutta has expressed her displeasure at being labeled as a supporting actor, insisting she loves playing all kinds of roles.
- Actor Parineeti Chopra's long-awaited biopic of badminton ace Saina Nehwal has been given a release date. Watch the first teaser here.
- Actor Ileana D'Cruz was asked during an Instagram Ask Me Anything session if she's ever had any cosmetic surgeries done. Here's what she said.
- Kangana Ranaut says that a new FIR has been registered against her, this time over her tweets on farmers agitation against the farm bills.
- Tara Sutaria shared the first poster of her upcoming movie Tadap. Her boyfriend Aadar Jain shared the poster on his Instagram Stories and expressed his excitement.
- Sara Ali Khan is in Jaipur. While she hasn't mentioned the reason behind her visit, it appears that she is in the pink city for a wedding. Sara and Manish Malhotra shared many pictures from the venue.
- Yami Gautam had previously opened up about a prolonged neck injury that affected her routine life. The actor has now detailed in on a road accident that left her with the injury.
- Sisters Malaika Arora and Amrita Arora posted pictures of their mom to wish her on her birthday and close friend Karisma Kapoor was among the first ones to comment.
- Akshay Kumar presented the first poster of Ahan Shetty's debut film, Tadap. Ahan is the son of actor Suniel Shetty. The film also stars Tara Sutaria. See the poster here.