Padosan makes it to IMDb’s list of top 100 Indian films, Saira Banu says she is happy
The 1968 film Padosan has entered the top 100 Indian Movie List of IMDb. Veteran actor Saira Banu says the movie was offered to her early in her career and she is glad that she could stand up to the “formidable” talent of her co-stars.
“I’m truly happy to learn that Padosan figures in the count of top 100 films of India on IMDb,” Saira said in a statement. She co-starred in the film with Sunil Dutt, Kishore Kumar and Mehmood. Directed by Jyoti Swaroop, the comedy film is about a simple man from a village who falls in love with his fashionable and very urban neighbour. He enlists the help of his musical-theatre friends to woo the girl-next-door away from her music teacher who always seems to be around her. It is a remake of the Bengali film Pasher Bari.
“Padosan came to me in the early stages of my career when I was myself a carefree, extremely happy and lively young woman full of the joie de vivre that comes when one’s dreams come true. Much of the vibrancy you can see in the character of Bindu is a reflection of my real personality at that time.
“Needless to say I thoroughly enjoyed my work and I was effortlessly standing up to the formidable talents of my co-stars who were brilliant in comedy and very popular and respected actors,” the actor said.
Looking back, the actor, who got married to Dilip Kumar in 1966, said: “I was newly married to Dilip saheb and I received the highest compliment any actor can receive when he watched the film and commended my innate sense of precise comic timing.”
Saira, 74, turned emotional as she recounted fond memories of her mother Naseem Banu, who “took pains to design the beautiful saris and dresses I wore in the film which became trendsetters”.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Several Bollywood celebrities such as Karan Johar; Riteish Deshmukh and his wife, Genelia; Sussanne Khan; and Neelam Kothari Soni, were spotted at the birthday party of Ekta Kapoor's son, Ravie.
- Bobby Deol's wife, Tanya, once recalled the story of how the actor made moves on her by calling her in the dead of night, only to be ignored.
- A picture of Khushi Kapoor and her cousin, Shanaya, taking dance lessons, is being widely shared online.
- Masaba Gupta has thanked her mother, actor Neena Gupta, for keeping her grounded. "I have seen kids who are really bad at what they do, being told that they are kings and queens," she said.
- Actor Varun Dhawan, who recently tied the knot with Natasha Dalal, has hinted that photographer Rohan Shrestha might soon get married, too. Rohan is rumoured to be dating Shraddha Kapoor.