When Shah Rukh Khan opened up on his parents’ deaths: ‘I didn’t know what to do, empty house without them used to come to bite us’
Shah Rukh Khan has always called the death of his parents the biggest loss of his life. He was 15 when he lost his father and 26 when he lost his mother. Both his parents couldn’t witness Shah Rukh’s journey from being an actor to a superstar. The actor had once opened up about how he couldn’t fathom their biting absence and decided to fill that void with acting.
Shah Rukh opened up his heart to Rani Mukerji, who was interviewing her industry friends during the promotions of her film Hichki ahead of its release. On being asked to share the Hichki moment in his life, Shah Rukh said, “My greatest ‘Hichki moment’ is the death of my parents. I was 15 when my father passed away and 26 when my mother passed away. It was very sad for us. The empty house without my parents used to come to bite us (Shah Rukh and his sister Shehnaz Lalarukh Khan). The loneliness, pain and sadness of the loss of both my parents, could have been overwhelming enough to take over my life wholly.”
Shah Rukh further talked about how he dealt with the empty void with acting and used it as a place to vent out his feelings. “I decided to overcome this Hichki moment by letting acting fill up my entire life. My parents went away suddenly. We got to know they had cancer and within two and a half months, they were gone. I didn’t know what to do. I just felt one night, while at their mazaar that I should fill this void with something. I got a fortunate break in films. For me, acting is not work but a place to vent out my feelings,” he said.
“I always say this that one morning, when I wake up, I will realise that I have spent all these emotions and now have nothing more to give (as an actor). Otherwise, death is a hiccup from which there is no coming back. I realised that and therefore, overcame it by giving my work, my all,” the Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge actor added.
Shah Rukh was last seen in 2018 film Zero and has been on a sabbatical ever since. He is now reportedly working on his next, Pathan, in which he will pair up with Deepika Padukone, for the fourth time.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
Women’s Day Special | Ekta Kapoor, Guneet Monga and Tahira Kashyap Khurrana: We just want to create better opportunities for women
Bobby Deol: Have never given importance to awards, my father’s been a legend, didn’t get a single Best Actor award
Anupria Goenka: There are many stereotypes attached to women even today in our workplace, pay disparity being one
- Saif Ali Khan's sister Saba on Sunday shared a cute and never-seen-before picture of Taimur Ali Khan. See it here.
- Alia Bhatt is already in birthday spirits. She took to Instagram and revealed she has received a bunch of gifts from director Shashank Khaitan.
- Taapsee Pannu was recently in the news for the I-T raids carried out at her property in Mumbai. The actor has now revealed how her family had reacted to the searches.
- On International Women's Day, Kangana Ranaut took to Twitter to share pictures with the favourite women in her life. She also said how everyday was 'Women's Day'.
- Shah Rukh Khan's daughter Suhana Khan dropped a new picture with a friend and upped her glamour game. She is currently in New York.