Women don’t get the opportunity to be fearless often: Priyanka Chopra
A couple of days ago, Priyanka Chopra returned to India from the US. The actor, who is soon going to make her much-awaited Hollywood debut in Baywatch, will be seen playing an antagonist. Apart from getting accolades by audiences and the media in the US, the actor recently also bagged a global icon award on the home turf. Excerpts from the interview:
Have you seen an attitudinal shift in people, now that you’re a global star?
I don’t like to pay attention to that, because I don’t think that way. I am not part of this profession for the fame. Fame is incidental. To me, it is more about the satisfaction of being able to achieve and being successful. I want to be able to leave behind a legacy for being an achiever and a girl. Women don’t get the opportunity to be fearless often. We always have to end up being dependent on men, in a lot of ways, because we live in a male-dominated world. My parents raised me differently. They raised me as an opinionated girl, and equally, like my brother (Siddharth Chopra). I pay attention to the next thing that I am going to do or achieve. I don’t like to sit back and revel in what I have just achieved, because ho gaya na abhi (it is done now). What next? (laughs)
Do you plan your career?
I never plan my career. I have never planned life. I am a big believer in the fact that ‘Man proposes God disposes’. The only thing we can do is work hard on the opportunities that come our way. I am not a planner. I don’t understand strategies. Contrary to what people believe, I don’t understand PR (public relations). My work is like Saraswati (the goddess of learning) for me. It is knowledge; it is art, and I treat it that way. The work that I do is a very spiritual experience.
Will you go to extremes to physically transform yourself for a role?
I don’t think gaining or losing weight is a transformation. For me, the biggest physical change was to get in shape for Mary Kom (2014) — to look like a boxer who’s been boxing for 15 years, and to know the sport. If you put me in a ring, I might not win, but I’ll know how to box. I think that was one of my biggest wins when it comes to physical change.
Would you like to venture into direction as well?
I don’t know. Creativity works in different ways. I have written columns for publications as well, so maybe I will write someday. I don’t know about direction yet, because I don’t feel confident enough to captain the ship. I am definitely a creative producer. I know everything about the business, though. I don’t know where my life will go. Like I said, I don’t plan it.
Watch: Baywatch Official Trailer - Teaser (2017)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ5tqzw841s
How about penning a book someday?
Maybe, but not yet. Where am I going to sit down to write? Even a column takes a really long time. Right now, I am busy flying back and forth to manage my careers in two different continents. I don’t even sleep enough. I don’t have the bandwidth right now to think about what I am going to do after this.
How do you balance it all?
It’s just simple math. You work hard and strive for excellence every single day. Eventually, that will always get you to success. That’s simple mathematics. That’s how I treat my career. I work hard on opportunities every day. It eventually leads to whatever it ends up leading to.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor Khan, who welcomed their second son earlier this month, got a visit from Arjun Kapoor, Malaika Arora and Karisma Kapoor.
- Kangana Ranaut played hostess for the team of Tejas, as they went to her house on Sunday for a meeting. She shared pictures of the get-together, giving fans a glimpse of her home as well.
- Aamna Imran, dubbed as Aishwarya Rai's doppelgänger, took the internet by storm this weekend with her uncanny resemblance to the Bollywood actor. The Pakistani social media influencer has revealed that she has an Indian connect.
- Roohi actor Varun Sharma opened up about his love life in a recent interview. He recalled bonding with a girl he liked from school when his mother was busy watching Kasautii Zindagi Kay.
- Anil Kapoor reveals he had really looked forward to shooting a scene that had him taking a stand for his onscreen daughter, Priyanka Chopra, in the film Dil Dhadakne Do.
- Alia Bhatt has shared a sunshiny new picture on Instagram and she looks stunning as ever. Check it out and try to spot a cute little cat in the picture as well.
- Suhana Khan spent her Saturday night with friends in New York. Shah Rukh Khan's daughter took to her Instagram Stories and shared a glimpse of her whereabouts.
- Days after the trailer was released, Mumbai Saga makers have dropped its first song, titled Shor Machega. Yo Yo Honey Singh and Hommie Dilliwala sing the latest Bollywood song.
- Kangana Ranaut has shared a video of her brother and parents' Mumbai home which she transformed into a more lively place with the help of her new sister-in-law Ritu.
- Varun Dhawan and Shraddha Kapoor were spotted at the Mumbai airport on Sunday morning. The actors were headed to the Maldives, where Shraddha's cousin Priyaank is tying the knot.