Personal Agenda with Naezy: “Asli hip-hop is staying true to your roots and rapping your heart out!”
The OG of Mumbai rap scene and the muse behind Gully Boy talks about hip-hop, paying taxes, and his attempt to dress up like Salman Khan!Updated: Jan 25, 2020 22:59 IST
- Date of birth: August 10
- Sunsign :Leo
- Place of birth: Mumbai
- Hometown: Mumbai
- School/college: St. Joseph High School, Kurla/ Rizvi College, Mumbai & Guru Nanak Khalsa College, Mumbai
- High point of your life: The recent release of my first album, Maghreb
- Low point of your life: Taking a year-long sabbatical from music
Define Naezy in three original lines.
Naezy, Naved ka bhavishya hai,
ek asaadharan roop hai,
jiska ek maksad hai aur woh hai inquilab
What’sasli hip-hop according to you?
Staying true to your roots and rapping your heart out!
Tell us the best and worst thing about the hip-hop scene in Mumbai.
The best part is the fact that it’s original and authentic, the worst is that it’s too hyped.
Name the most underrated rapper in India today?
- Movie: Rang De Basanti (2006)
- Comfort food: Anything with lots of cheese and lots of meat
- Holiday destination: Countryside, in the UK
- Hindi word: Aatm-sammaan
- Indian hip-hop artist: Mawali
And the last show you binge-watched...?
2 Broke Girls.
What’s the most over-the-top filmy thing you have done in real life?
I’ve tried to dress like Salman Khan.
List three things nobody knows about you.
I like listening to Taylor Swift, I like swimming in the sea and I hate paying taxes!
If you could time travel, what era you would pick and for what?
The ’90s so I could drive a Mustang in south Bombay.
An advice you’d have given your 10-year-old self...?
Be disciplined and stay away from girls!
- Most used app: Instagram
- First app I check: News
- On speed dial: My manager
- Last thing googled: How to pay online challan to traffic police
- Last person texted: Divine
What makes your new album unique?
I’ve opened up about my love life through a love song, Pyaar Hai. And technically, we have reached an international standard of music through this.
5 things you want to do in 2020... ?
An album tour, collaborations beyond hip hop, travelling to the Mecca of hip hop (New York city), build a new sneaker collection, and find a girlfriend!
What would the title of your biography be?
Kurla to Compton.
Follow @ananya1281 on Twitter
From HT Brunch, January 26, 2020
Follow us on twitter.com/HTBrunch
Connect with us on facebook.com/hindustantimesbrunch