When it rains, don't let diseases pour
Caution: rains can make you sick. Monsoon is when the weather changes to hot and dry to hot and humid, conducive for the growth of bacteria, viruses and fungi. Shikha Sharma tells you how to disease-proof your life this year.brunch Updated: Jun 29, 2014 17:33 IST
According to ayurveda, monsoon is the time when the digestive system weakens and affects two energy systems: vata (air) and pitta (fire). This basically leads to the following:
* Low digestive strength
* Low immunity
* Low vitality
A vata imbalance can lead to indigestion, body pain, headaches and gaseous distention. A pitta imbalance can lead to fungal infections, urinary tract infections, skin infections and throat infections.
But there's no reason to panic. Just protect yourself well enjoy the rains.
If you are diabetic...
* You must take care of your feet, as diabetics tend to suffer from nerve damage and poor blood flow. this affects their feet adversely.
* Do not walk outside barefoot because a variety of worms and insects can infect your feet.
* Remember to wash and dry your feet, and apply antifungal powder before wearing your shoes. Diabetics must avoid tight or ill-fitting shoes.
An oil massage is helpful.
If you are asthmatic...
* During monsoon, avoid curd, pickles and heavy food at night.
* Practice pranayam every day and walk regularly.
* Avoid the growth of moulds and fungi in cupboards and other closed areas. Just scatter neem and betel leaves inside and breathe easy.
If you have a liver disorder...
* Eat liver-friendly foods like barley, fruit, khichdi, cold soups and coconut water.
* Avoid alcohol, heavy proteins and fried foods.
If you have sensitive skin…
* Take green gram and chana powder in equal proportions, mix it with water or milk and wash your face with it, twice a day.
* Make a paste of papaya, honey and milk. Apply on your face, leave on for 15 minutes, and wash off.
* Get a weekly body massage with ayurvedic oils like dhanvantari oil.
* Exfoliate your face with a paste of two tablespoons besan (gram flour) mixed with turmeric and raw milk. Apply on your face, leave it on for 15 minutes, and wash off.
From HT Brunch, June 29
Follow us on twitter.com/HTBrunch
Connect with us on facebook.com/hindustantimesbrunch
First Published: Jun 27, 2014 10:26 IST