FinMin sees growth near 9 % in 07/08
Finance Minister Palaniappan Chidambaram said on Thursday he saw gross domestic product growing close to 9 per cent in 2007/08, after a statistics office estimate put growth at 8.7 per cent for the year.
Chidambaram said he hoped the statistics office figure would be revised upwards.
"There is some disappointment, but I am not too despondent. I am reasonably confident these numbers can only move upwards," he told reporters.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Meenakshi Mallik, the airline’s commercial director who spearheaded the ambitious attempt to take over the state-run carrier, said in a three-page letter to employees that the consortium was not shortlisted.
- With 59 vessels and 3,281 staff, SCI is the largest Indian shipping company in terms of capacity
- China said it acknowledges India’s efforts to enhance competitiveness in manufacturing and services sectors through ‘Make In India’ and ‘Digital India’ initiatives but remains concerned that some of the measures are not consistent with WTO principles.
- Rallying crude may also complicate the Reserve Bank’s plan to tame inflationary pressures and spur economic growth
- The revenue in March may cross the record Rs.1,19,875 crore collected in January by at least Rs.10,000 crore.
- After fighting multiple bouts of volatility during the session, the BSE gauge Sensex settled 35.75 points or 0.07 per cent higher at 50,441.07.