'Google hasn't provided info on Orkut pedophile'
Federal prosecutors said Google's Brazilian subsidiary has not complied with repeated requests to provide information about users accused of using the company's Orkut social networking service to spread child pornography and hate speech.
Prosecutor Sergio Gardenghi Suiama said on Thursday that while Google has eliminated the users from Orkut groups, the company still refuses to release their information so that Brazilian authorities can pursue them.
"In some cases Google has not even preserved the evidence we need to file charges against the pedophiles that use the Internet to spread their ideas," Suiama said.
Microsoft Corp And Yahoo Inc have provided user information in similar cases, Suiama told a news conference.
"We are reviewing the documentation we received today from prosecutors in Sao Paulo and will respond to their requests today," Google said in a statement sent by e-mail to The Associated Press yesterday. "Google is committed to removing child pornography from Orkut and has been working with the authorities in several states in Brazil ... To deal with this problem through valid legal process."
Alberto Arebalos, director for corporate communications and public affairs in Latin America for Google, said earlier that "Google in no way supports or protects pedophiles or any criminal activity in our services."
Suiama added that if a federal judge handling the case determines that Google's Brazilian subsidiary must turn over the information, Google will have to comply or face daily fines and even the closure of the company's Brazilian operations.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- For checking EPF balance without UAN number, users will need to log into their account through the EPF homepage at epfindia.gov.in.
- The 15th Finance Commission has recommended that states be given 41 per cent of the divisible tax pool of the Centre during the period 2021-22 to 2025-26, which is at the same level as was recommended by the 14th Finance Commission.
- Here’s a list of some of the tasks which need to be performed by taxpayers before March 31
- In an interaction with members of the Indian Women’s Press Corps (IWPC), Sitharaman said that consumer sentiment about the tax burden on auto fuel was understandable.
- Nearly 1.1 million vaccine doses were administered to people above the age of 60 and those in the 45-59 age group till Thursday.
- Mohapatra said the idea came during Modi’s meeting with Marriott International president and chief executive Arne Sorenson, who complained about the complex regulations in starting and running a hotel in India.