Want to subscribe to National Payment System? 5 recent rule changes you should know

Published on Sep 24, 2022 09:53 AM IST

A voluntary retirement pension scheme, NPS enables its subscribers to make decisions regarding their post-retirement life, through systematic savings while they are actively employed.

Representative Image
Representative Image
By, New Delhi

The National Pension System (NPS) is a voluntary pension scheme, under which investors can go for both debt and equity exposure via a single investment tool. Under NPS, an investor, at the time of retirement, can choose up to 75% equity exposure and withdraw up to 60% of the maturity amount. The remaining 40% will be used to buy annuity, which will be used for monthly pension payable to NPS account holders.

Recently, the Pension Fund Regulatory Development Authority (PFRDA) and Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) announced some changes to NPS rules. Here are 5 updated rules subscribers should know about:

Trail commission payment through PoP: This rule became effective from September 1. Under this, the trail commission to Points of Presence (PoPs) for D-Remit contributions of the associated subscribers shall be 20% of the contribution amount. As with eNPS, the contribution amount is between 15 and maximum 15,000, including the lower and upper limits.

e-nomination flow: Starting October 1, the nodal office can accept or reject e-nomination request of an account holder. The request will be automatically accepted in the Central Recordkeeping Agencies (CRA) system if the nodal office does not initiate any action on the request within 30 days of allotment.

Buy annuity with the same form: Now, at the time of maturity, no separate form is required for annuity, and, instead, exit from NPS will be considered as proposal to buy annuities from life insurance companies. IRDAI has taken this step to make the onboarding process easier for new subscribers to this voluntary retirement scheme.

Submitting life certificate digitally: To ease submission process, IRDAI has directed insurance firms to use Aadhaar-based authentication.

No credit card payment for tier-2 account holders: PFRDA has stopped the use of credit cards to pay for subscription of NPS contribution in tier-2 accounts.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
  • ABOUT THE AUTHOR

    Follow the latest breaking news and developments from India and around the world with Hindustan Times' newsdesk. From politics and policies to the economy and the environment, from local issues to national events and global affairs, we've got you covered.

SHARE
Story Saved
OPEN APP
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
My Offers
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Wednesday, February 01, 2023
Start 15 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now
Register Free and get Exciting Deals