Cong accuses Sukhbir of grabbing NRI hotel in Delhi
Accusing deputy chief minister Sukhbir Singh Badal of grabbing a hotel of an old NRI couple in Delhi, the Congress on Friday urged the union ministry of home affairs to order a CBI probe into the "blatant loot and usurping the Rs 300-crore assets through his close aide Krishan Kumar".
At a press conference here, Punjab Congress spokesman Sukhpal Khaira showed the video footage wherein NRI Harbhajan Singh Chopra (82) from the UK and his wife, Surjit Kaur Chopra, narrated that how their Claremont Hotel was "forcefully taken over with the help of muscle power and Punjab policemen", while they were helpless in absence of any response from the Delhi police to their hue and cry.
Krishan Kumar had been declared a proclaimed offender by the Punjab vigilance bureau for nine years in a disproportionate assets case against the Badals, in which he was one of the co-accused.
"Krishan Kumar has been using the Punjab Police for such unlawful and criminal activities under the shelter of the Badals at their residence in Delhi throughout the years when he was declared PO in the corruption case against the Badals till the time they were acquitted in 2012 by a Mohali court," Khaira stated.
When Krishan Kumar got a notice from another NRI, Sanjay Kriplani, for recovery of a few crores, as an owner of the hotel alleged that he had grabbed, he threatened Kripani and his wife, while the Punjab Police lodged a false criminal case on the charges of extortion against this couple at Kapurthala, Khaira stated.
Khaira also showed a video clipping of the Kriplani family wherein Sanjay's wife, Robin Kriplani, said Krishan Kumar also threatened to get her raped if they did not go back to the US.
The aggrieved Kriplani couple had moved a writ petition for the cancellation of the FIR that was also lodged against them in Kapurthala but was quashed "on technical grounds", said the Kriplanis' lawyer, who was present at the press conference.
"We are in the process of revising our petition in the high court," he added. The Kriplanis also stated in their byte that they had never visited Kapurthala where the district police had registered the case against them.
Khaira stated it was police officer SS Mand who lodged the FIR against the innocent couple on January 6, 2012 under Sections 341, 387 and 506 of the IPC and under the Arms Act.
Sukhbir disowns Krishan Kumar
Sukhbir Badal's media adviser Jangveer Singh later issued a statement that "the deputy chief minister has nothing to do with any activity of Krishan Kumar in Delhi, and the latter does not hold any official position on the Badals premises in Delhi or elsewhere".
Khaira also gave Krishan Kumar's number (09871315934) and when HT called up the person who answered the call claimed himself to be Kewal Kumar Krishan from Bharatpur and said he has nothing to do with the Badals.
However, he was curious to know the identity of the caller. The said number is registered in the name of Krishan Kumar only on 'Truecaller', a mobile phone number and ID search application.