HC tells Punjab to complete ETT admissions by Oct 26
The Punjab and Haryana high court on Monday granted five days' time to the Punjab government to complete the admission process of Elementary Teachers Training (ETT) courses in around 65 Bachelor of Education (BEd) colleges across the state.chandigarh Updated: Oct 21, 2013 20:17 IST
The Punjab and Haryana high court on Monday granted five days' time to the Punjab government to complete the admission process of Elementary Teachers Training (ETT) courses in around 65 Bachelor of Education (BEd) colleges across the state.
The court has ordered the state government to start the course by October 26 after the completion of the admission process. This has come as a relief to more than 2,000 successful candidates for pursuing the ETT course.
The directions came on a bunch of petitions filed by the Association of Punjab Self-financed Colleges of Education and some private colleges, challenging the state government's delaying tactics in starting the course in time.
Arguing for the petitioners, advocate Sameer Sachdeva submitted that in 2010, the high court had directed in a case that those colleges which did not take grants or aid from the state government could carry on admissions in ETT courses on merits. The high court had ordered that the admission process should not be against the norms set by the state government.
However, the state government in April 2012 finalised the relevant rules that admission for 60% seats in an ETT course in these colleges would be made by the government and the rest 40% seats would be filled by the college management.
The court was informed that it was in October last year that the admission process for the ETT course was started for 2012-2014 sessions and successful candidates were allotted colleges in June this year. The state government had on July 16 issued a notice that successful candidates would have to submit their fee by July 24. But on the same day, the notice was withdrawn by the state, after which there had been uncertainty on the admission process.
First Published: Oct 21, 2013 20:15 IST