Punjab assembly session to begin from Dec 22
The Winter Session of Punjab assembly will commence from December 22, an official spokesperson said here on Tuesday.chandigarh Updated: Dec 16, 2014 22:00 IST
The council of ministers on Tuesday approved the summoning of a session of the 14th Punjab Vidhan Sabha from December 22.
The duration of the session would be decided by Vidhan Sabha speaker Charanjit Singh Atwal during the business advisory committee meeting scheduled for the first day of the session.
Tuesday’s cabinet meeting, chaired by chief minister Parkash Singh Badal, also accepted the recommendations of the committee headed by the chief secretary regarding waiver of purchase tax on sugarcane for the 2014-15 financial year, as done by Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra and Uttarakhand.
Stating this here, a spokesperson for the chief minister’s office said the cabinet decided to recover previous arrears of purchase tax and other taxes from sugar mills in annual equated instalments.
The cabinet also decided to grant financial assistance to victims of the Gurdaspur eye camp tragedy. The council of ministers gave the go-ahead to amend the Financial Assistance to Disabled Persons Rules, 1996, to pay a special pension of Rs 2000 per month to the victims. More than 30 elderly patients from Amritsar and Gurdaspur districts had been totally or partially blinded after undergoing cataract surgeries at an eye camp in Ghuman (Gurdaspur district) last month.
Other major cabinet decisions
* Online media agency to be engaged to publicise government achievements in the social media
* Nod to establishing Punjab state institute of sports at SAS Nagar
* Water cess to be levied at Rs 50 per acre per crop
* Tubewells run by the Punjab Water Resources Management and Development Corporation (PWRMDC) exempted from water user charges
* Approval to transferring 201 schools from urban local bodies to the education department
First Published: Dec 16, 2014 19:13 IST