Sec-17 revamp: Norms still unclear, admn plans learn-and-commit drive
Construction work started in several of the 51 affected showrooms in Sector 17E to construct or reconstruct balconies in particular, a day after the administration’s demolition against violations. But confusion prevailed as to what exactly had to be done.chandigarh Updated: Jun 10, 2015 09:52 IST
Construction work started in several of the 51 affected showrooms in Sector 17E to construct or reconstruct balconies in particular, a day after the administration’s demolition against violations. But confusion prevailed as to what exactly had to be done.
While most traders knew that the balcony had to be three feet inside the outer wall, the matter of eight small pillars and a particular design was not clear to most. A bookstore owner, who did not want to be named fearing further action, said he had procured the blueprints and design but needed finer details. “Not everyone is tech-savvy enough to first download these from the administration’s website, and then architecturally sound enough to understand all the technical specifications,” he remarked.
A salon owner was particularly peeved, saying he had visited the estate office but got no exact measurements. “All we’ve got is a layout plan, but it’s hard to read. Now that it has taken such strict action already, why can’t the administration send its engineers or experts to at least tell us what’s allowed and what’s not?” he asked.
The administration, on its part, has got photocopies of the plan that shows the upper floor layout and overall measurements. It is planning to distribute these along with getting a signed declaration from the owners that essentially says that he/she has been explained the violations and would set these right in 15 days.
This includes the long-covered rear balconies, glazing on which did not face demolition yet, and putting all wires in an internal duct that has been removed by many occupants and owners.
Sub-divisional magistrate (SDM), central, Prince Dhawan, who leads the Secfor-17 rejuvenation project team, did not respond to calls.
When contacted, sub-divisional officer (SDO), buildings, Dharminder Bassi acknowledged, “We planned to distribute the layout copies and get the declarations today, but the strike held us back.”
For minute details, he said, “There are drawings available with the architecture department in Sector 9.”
Many traders are apprehensive now that even the new constructions could be removed.
“Where were these awareness drives and drawings earlier?” asked one. But Bassi underlined that these plans had been shared earlier and put online too.
First Published: Jun 10, 2015 09:50 IST