Today in New Delhi, India
Oct 23, 2018-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Two youths arrested in Phase 4 stabbing case, sent in police remand

Two youths arrested for stabbing a woman and her daughter after barging into their house in Phase 4 here on Thursday evening were sent in two-day police remand on Friday.

chandigarh Updated: Aug 18, 2012 12:11 IST

Two youths arrested for stabbing a woman and her daughter after barging into their house in Phase 4 here on Thursday evening were sent in two-day police remand on Friday.

The accused include Maninder (24) of Landran, Tajinder (20) of Phase 9, SAS Nagar, and Tajinder's cousin Harpal Singh, alias Lucky, a resident of Sector 35, Chandigarh, who is still at large. Raids are on to nab Lucky.

The three were booked for attacking Raminder Kaur and her teenaged daughter Rajakdeep Kaur, a Class 10 student of Ajit Karam Singh International Public School. While Rajakdeep sustained injuries on her cheeks and left hand, her mother was stabbed in the chest.

Maninder and Tajinder are students of a private computer institute. Tajinder is son of a retired PUDA superintendent, while Maninder is son of Sajjan Singh, who is said to have recently returned from the UAE.

Preliminary investigations revealed that Maninder had been stalking the girl for quite sometime and the immediate provocation behind the attack was a complaint of eve-teasing lodged by Rajakdeep with the Chandigarh Police against Maninder and his friends on Thursday.

'He used to threaten me, follow me everywhere'
"I had gone to wash my face in the evening when I heard a male walking into the drawing room, asking for me. When I came out, I saw Maninder sitting on the sofa with his friend and rebuked him," said Rajakdeep.

The bloodstains on the floor of the house, which have not been cleaned even after 15 hours, talk about the struggle that took place in the house.

"I called out to my mother and said that he (Maninder) has entered the house. Maninder warned her of dire consequences and even threatened to eliminate her. He went out and returned with a knife that opened from both sides. The other boys were shouting "mar de, chaddi na (kill her, don't spare her)," said Rajakdeep.

Before Rajakdeep could react, the youths forced their way into the house and stabbed her mother in the chest. They then attacked Rajakdeep and fled on a motorcycle parked outside, where their accomplice stood waiting for them.

"Maninder had been stalking me for quite sometime. I had seen him standing with his friends on the roadside at the bus stop near the gurdwara in Phase 4, where my school bus used to drop me. He had started following me and was forcing me to befriend him. When I turned down his overtures, he started threatening me. He even used to follow me to Sector 41, Chandigarh, where I go for tuitions," said Rajakdeep.

She said Maninder used to send her friend requests on Facebook, but after she blocked him, he created a Facebook account under a fake name and started pestering me. He also threatened to harm me and my family," said Rajakdeep, claiming that the attack could have been averted had the police taken timely action on her complaint.

'We were friends, I've been framed: Maninder

"I have been falsely implicated. Rajakdeep is known to me and we were friends till she developed closeness with some other boys and started avoiding me. I had gone to her house to end the relations. I never attacked anyone. I do not know how they were injured," Maninder told mediapersons outside the court.

"We were constantly in touch with each other on the phone as well as on Facebook," he told the police during interrogation.

First Published: Aug 17, 2012 23:38 IST