One man was killed and three others injured after a dilapidated two-storey building undergoing demolition collapsed in Karol Bagh, New Delhi on Friday morning, police said, adding that the contractor for the project has been arrested.

The incident took place around 11.15am at a building on Pyare Lal Road in Regarpura, according to deputy commissioner of police (central) Rohit Rajbir Singh.
“According to a preliminary inquiry, the structure was being demolished by a private contractor engaged by its owners. It was a very old structure and there was barely anything left on the first floor. No permission for the demolition had been obtained from the concerned agency,” Singh said.
To be sure, official said that private owners need permission from municipal authorities before demolishing structures owned by them.
Also Read I Live-in relationship akin to marriage, parents can't interfere: Delhi HC
Labourers trapped at site
Police said the building collapsed while demolition work was underway, trapping labourers at the site. A police team reached the spot after receiving information and, along with Delhi Fire Services (DFS) personnel, launched rescue operations.
{{/usCountry}}Police said the building collapsed while demolition work was underway, trapping labourers at the site. A police team reached the spot after receiving information and, along with Delhi Fire Services (DFS) personnel, launched rescue operations.
{{/usCountry}}Four labourers were affected in the incident. One of them, identified as Sheikh Shamshad, in his 20s, succumbed to his injuries. His body was shifted to the mortuary at Lady Hardinge Medical College and Hospital for further proceedings, police said.
Another labourer, Mohammmed Ayub, 25, sustained serious injuries, including a head injury and a fracture in his right hand. He was initially taken for treatment and later referred to Dr Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital, where his condition was stated to be critical.
Sheikh Saidul, in his 20s, suffered limb injuries and was taken to Jeevan Mala Hospital, where he is undergoing treatment. The fourth labourer, Rafik-Ul, also in his 20s, sustained minor injuries and subsequently left for his residence, police said.
Rescue ops continue as contractor faces questioning
Police and fire service personnel continued rescue operations to ensure no other person remained trapped under the debris. According to police, the building owner and the contractor engaged for the demolition were detained for questioning, while the contractor, identified as Arun, was arrested.
Investigators are verifying whether safety precautions were followed during the demolition and the circumstances that led to the sudden collapse. They are also verifying the role of the owner, as police said no permission for the demolition had been obtained from the MCD.
Also Read I Delhi master plan introduces ‘negative list’ of activities for residential, commercial zones
“Further legal action under appropriate provisions will be initiated after verification of the facts and assessment of the circumstances leading to the collapse,” a senior police officer said.
Stay updated with all top Cities including, Bengaluru, Delhi, Mumbai and more across India. Stay informed on the latest happenings in World News along with Delhi Election 2025 and Delhi Election Result 2025 Live, New Delhi Election Result Live, Kalkaji Election Result Live at Hindustan Times.
Stay updated with all top Cities including, Bengaluru, Delhi, Mumbai and more across India. Stay informed on the latest happenings in World News along with Delhi Election 2025 and Delhi Election Result 2025 Live, New Delhi Election Result Live, Kalkaji Election Result Live at Hindustan Times.