Over 200 dogs found dead in 3 days in Bengal town triggering panic
Over 200 stray dogs have died in the last three days in Bishnupur town in West Bengal's Bankura district, triggering panic among the people, officials said on Friday.
While 60 dogs died on Tuesday, 97 were found dead on Wednesday and 45 on Thursday, they said.
Bishnupur's civic body chief Divyendu Bandyopadhyay said the matter has been informed to the district authorities.
Samples have been collected from the dead dogs and sent to Kolkata for testing, officials said.
Veterinarians said that they suspect the deaths to be caused by a viral infection, which is common during this time among dogs, and urged people not to panic as there are no chances of transmission to humans or other animals.
The carcasses are being buried at the dumping ground by the Bishnupur Municipality, officials said.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- "Modi government only makes false promises, has done nothing to bring down fuel prices," PTI quoted the Bengal chief minister as saying.
- According to CBI officials privy to the development, Rujira was questioned for around an hour.
- Bengal BJP leader Rakesh Singh has been told to appear before Kolkata police's detective department on Tuesday
- The CBI on Monday questioned Banerjee’s nephew and TMC leader Abhishek Banerjee's sister-in-law in a coal scam case.
- The CBI served notice to Trinamool TMC Lok Sabha member Abhishek Banerjee's wife for questioning in connection with the coal smuggling case.
- The agency sought to serve notice to his wife for questioning in connection with the coal smuggling case.