Police deployed to ensure peace in Mangolpuri
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 23, 2019-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Police deployed to ensure peace in Mangolpuri

Delhi Police tightened security in Mangolpuri on Thursday after Wednesday night’s stabbing spree left two men dead and four others injured.

cities Updated: Aug 31, 2018 01:39 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times, New Delhi
Outer Delhi,Mangolpuri,Delhi Police
Delhi Police personnel carried out investigation after a dead body was found at Deen Dayal Upadhyay Marg, near ITO, in New Delhi, India, on Sunday, January 24, 2016. (Photo by Arun Sharma / Hindustan Times)(HT FIle Photo)

More than 100 paramilitary and police personnel were deployed in Mangolpuri’s I and M blocks on Thursday morning, a day after a group of masked men attacked innocent people with knives and killed two of them.

The families of the victims, along with other local residents, staged a protest and blocked traffic in the area on Thursday morning, demanding justice and arrest of the attackers. The protesters alleged that the number of cases of violence between groups is rising in the area.

The initial police probe shows that attackers came from M-block to settle scores with a member of a rival gang in I block on Wednesday night.

The autopsy on the bodies of the two victims, Karanveer Singh,47, and Dinesh Sharma,28, was conducted amid tight security. They were later handed over to the family members. Singh’s body was cremated in police security. Sharma’s family took his body to their native village in Bulandshahr, Uttar Pradesh.

“The issue is currently under control. We have assured the victims’ families that the attackers will be arrested soon,” said additional deputy commissioner of police (outer) Rajender Singh Sagar.

Locals said the attackers were masked and carrying knives and pistols. They alleged that the attackers abused the locals and damaged a couple of CCTV cameras in the neighbourhood.

One of the eyewitnesses, Raj Kumar, said, “I was at my home when I heard a commotion. As I came out, two men, one waving a pistol and another a knife, threatened to kill me and

asked me to go inside. They, and their associates then stabbed some persons who fleeing, fearing the indiscriminate stabbing. I could not identify them as they had covered their face with cloth.”

Sharma’s brother-in-law, Chandra Mohan, who lives in the same locality, said Sharma was returning home after work when he was attacked. Mohan claimed Sharma did not have enmity with anyone.

“I don’t think the attackers even knew my brother-in-law’s name. He was killed for no fault,” he said.

Eighteen people were taken into custody and are being grilled in connection with the case. “We have some specific leads about the prime suspect. Raids are on to nab him,” said an investigator.

First Published: Aug 31, 2018 01:39 IST